Male Cat Possible UTI Issue?

WhattaWally

Oh my Golly, it's Wally!
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I am brand new here.
I come today to discuss what might be going on with my male cat Wally. We had him for seven and half years now but we got him as a street rescue when we suspect he might have been around four years old; Wally is approximately 11 or 12 years old. When we took him in back then he liked to suckle on blankets and march his feet. At first, this was all it was, he would suckle the blanket and go to sleep but now, and for the last few years, he suckles the blankets and then goes to lick his penis (which comes out) and his legs twitch. Since I thought it was a self-soothing behavior I examined ways to help him cope with being inside and I harness trained him so he could enjoy outside life where he came from and safe inside life. I play with him and try to distract the behavior if it gets out of hand. While he does it, if he is disturbed he will meow loudly and gets quite irritated. A couple of weeks ago he was doing this on my robe in my bunny's room and I went to stop him and he meowed, jumped off the couch, and mounted my senior rabbit at the neck like he was mating.

As he ages, I am cognizant of the fact that this is something that will not go away and I am worried there is something going on. We have taken him to the vet regarding food sensitivities and learned that he doesn't do well with poultry foods and try to avoid those ingredients as best we can. Unfortunately, with this pandemic, it's hard to go about trying new food every few days and we have been stuck on some grocery store wet foods in between the pet store dry/wet pickup.

Some additional information:
- He is quite vocal, more so than usual but this is because we enforce the behavior with attention and now since he meows at mealtimes, he gets food rewards. The vocalization is a few years old at this point.
- He eats three meals a day: morning and night consist of 1/8 cup of dry with a tablespoon or more of wet food, afternoon meal is only wet food with pumpkin puree mixed in.
- His litter habits are good. I am aware that this humping behavior might be leading to a UTI and so I bought them a cat fountain and he drinks lots of water from it. Sometimes his pee is in smaller amounts than my female cat but it's not sticky and he never strains or misses the box.
- In the last few years, he has grown to dislike play wrestling with the female cat but I think it's because she gets too into it and it gets less playful.
- One of his favorite things to do is play outside in the backyard. I will toss him toys and he will race after them or jump in the air to catch. I highly doubt he has sludge buildup as he is quite active for a senior.
- He weighs 11-12 lbs. I weigh him every couple of weeks and this is average for this time of the year.
- He only does it in my presence, not my partner because he will stop him. I like to let my pets do their thing with little interruption because I understand animals do things for a reason. He is usually in the same room as I am wherever I am in the house. He is quite attached to me. This mounting behavior he only does on fleece blankets near me. Some days it can be as many as four or five times and other days he doesn't do it at all.

I think that's all. I am wondering if you have seen or experienced something like this before. It's a little challenging to convince my partner to agree to the vet right now if we even need it, and he thinks Wally is doing this in a sexual nature. I tried to explain that when cats mate it happens quickly, whereas Wally might do it for 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance! I know it's a lot to take in at once from a brand new forum member!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, is Wally neutered? If not, it most likely is sexual frustration. If he is, like my senior male, it is just a source of pleasure and comfort. It's hard to break an animal of something that brings them pleasure, you can't reason with them. Stopping him is bringing on frustration and irritability. Distraction would be an option, get him interested in something else. Get a wand to play, a kickeroo for exercise. I've had this happen with many neutered male cats, it is a lot more common then you think. People don't talk about it, because like your partner, they think it is sexual in nature. It is just an advanced version of kneading. It brings him calmness and pleasure and he gets overstimulated when he does it. I would just ignore it, or if he starts doing it in front of company, your partner, etc. put him in another room. (the cat, not the partner).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhattaWally

Oh my Golly, it's Wally!
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you for your response. Yes, he is neutered, his previous owner had him neutered- is it possible this behavior stems from being taken away from his mama at too early?

He does like to play with wands and sticks, and I have successfully redirected him in the bunny room before. In general, he usually does this before settling down to sleep.

I am happy to read your answer and know I am not alone, I mean every time I look up his symptoms I get the same UTI warnings. I am very much aware of what triggers UTI and am actively doing the things that should keep him in good health.

I guess I'll leave it alone as a behavioral tendency because like I said, it's not new, it has just always intrigued me! I also stated in my original post that I tend to let my pets act out their natural behaviors because it's usually for a reason; if Wally's doing this for comfort and relaxation then he can keep at it. I'll continue to look the other way.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's related to UTI at all. Its behavioral. It comforts him and feels good so he does it. Its an animal thing and just bothers us humans. Bless you for accepting it, you are a good person who is more tolerant of differences.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WhattaWally

Oh my Golly, it's Wally!
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think it's related to UTI at all. Its behavioral. It comforts him and feels good so he does it. Its an animal thing and just bothers us humans. Bless you for accepting it, you are a good person who is more tolerant of differences.....
Thanks for your response! I am happy to hear that it's as innocent as it feels good! Humans are animals too, I'm sure we have some behaviors that makes the cats go, "whaaaaa???"