Male cat POOPING on floor

nb23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 year old neutered male cat that has been pooping outside of the litter box for about 6 months now. I have 2 large uncovered litter boxes, use and have used Worlds Best Cat litter for 3 years now. I keep the litter boxes very tidy, scooping once and sometimes twice a day. Not much has changed in the house that would warrant this behavior. The vet has cleared him health wise so I don't know what's going on. I clean up every mess with Natures Miracle to remove the smell from my hardwood floors. I have another cat, an 8 year old female who has been in his life as long as we've had him. She's an angel and he's a little stinker! Any help/tips/guidance as to resolving this issue?? I'm desperate and getting very tired of cleaning up his mess almost every day!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he poop in a certain spot every time? Like in a different room than the cat boxes? Or right beside them? His food's not beside the litter boxes is it?

Oh, and Welcome to TCS! I hope you enjoy it here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nb23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Does he poop in a certain spot every time? Like in a different room than the cat boxes? Or right beside them? His food's not beside the litter boxes is it?

Oh, and Welcome to TCS! I hope you enjoy it here!
He usually poops in the same room the boxes are in. Usually in the same area, not right next to the box though. Cat food and water is downstairs. Cats have been on the same food for forever.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anything changed in your home in the last 6 months? Are all the litter boxes in one location?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if it's time to experiment with different litters in one of the boxes? Different texture, or smell or something?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only experience I have is through a friend.

He has a bunch of cats, and one at some point decided to start picking on one of his skinny males. Every time he would go to the bathroom, she would corner him, and he was afraid to leave.

He noticed her staring him down a few times and broke it up so he could get out, but about a week later he started having litterbox avoidance issues.

His was both pee and poo though, and probably doesn't apply, but figured I'd throw that out there.

If it is something that startled or scared him while at that litterbox, perhaps one in another room as backup might help.

initforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
another idea to try is to place an empty litter box in the spot your cat poos in - perhaps your cat does not like kitty litter and would prefer an empty tray?

I would also not keep it a secret that you are unhappy with his new pooing places so choose to start telling your cat what you think of the poos

perhaps have your cat near the poo you have to clean up and point to it and tell your cat 'no' etc and then grumble a great deal as you clean it up while your cat watches how unhappy you are

I hope that helps

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thought is that your cat is constipated. Pooping is uncomfortable, he blames the box, so poops outside of the box.

I know you said you've had him to the vet but what did the vet do? Has blood work been done? An x ray? A fecal exam?

Perhaps a second opinion with another vet is needed.

Other thoughts: that he is being bullied by another cat also occurred to me. Feliway plug in diffusers may help.

That he does not like pooping in the litter...adding an empty box may be the answer.

But I'd be exploring the health factor more deeply too.

Welcome to the forum, please keep us posted.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Every time he would go to the bathroom, she would corner him, and he was afraid to leave.
That sitting there and staring down another cat and not allowing them to leave/pass is classic bullying behavior. Everyone with multiple cats needs to be on the look out for it.
I have one that doesn't like most of the other cats and likes to sit in door ways daring the others to pass - we often have to move her when she starts that.

I too wonder if there's not a stool issue. The vet won't be able to see a large "sample" of your cat's stools. Describe them - color, firmness, consistancy. Are they very firm? Do you see hair or fur in them? Ever any blood? I assume you'd spot loose to soft stools as a health issue easily enough and would mention that if it were the case.
And though this may sound weird, was he checked for urinay tract problems?

initforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if the issue is down to bullying or staring from another cat then perhaps a hooded litter box will be helpful

also perhaps you can stand guard at least some of the time beside the litter box while this cat is in the litter box

I would also attempt to do what you do to kitty litter train a kitten - place cat in litter box after meals and just encourage your cat to pee or poo by speaking sweetly - good kitty and such words and perhaps stroking your cat

with the 30 cats I had -i was a breeder- I have always had good results with placing a cat in litter box and just taking a few moments to praise it in the litter box

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by initforlove

if the issue is down to bullying or staring from another cat then perhaps a hooded litter box will be helpful
That could lead to more issues as the bullied cat would be worried about getting trapped in the box, since there is only one small opening for escape.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That sitting there and staring down another cat and not allowing them to leave/pass is classic bullying behavior. Everyone with multiple cats needs to be on the look out for it.
I have one that doesn't like most of the other cats and likes to sit in door ways daring the others to pass - we often have to move her when she starts that.

I too wonder if there's not a stool issue. The vet won't be able to see a large "sample" of your cat's stools. Describe them - color, firmness, consistancy. Are they very firm? Do you see hair or fur in them? Ever any blood? I assume you'd spot loose to soft stools as a health issue easily enough and would mention that if it were the case.
And though this may sound weird, was he checked for urinay tract problems?

Originally Posted by rad65

That could lead to more issues as the bullied cat would be worried about getting trapped in the box, since there is only one small opening for escape.