Male Cat Peeing in Carpet. Need Major Help

eddieem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I introduced Scar into the house a month ago where Gray (male neutered and scar's brother) and Kitta (Spayed female) already lived.

Gray and Scar get along super well, but Kitta is always hissing at both of them. Scar is my brother's cat, he went to Chile to study abroad so I am taking care of Scar now, which was an indoor/outdoor cat before coming with me, which my cats are completely indoor.

When he came into my house, he peed a few times in the carpet, making me think it was ok as he was new here, but after getting him neutered and after this month he seems to keep doing it.

I am not sure if its because of how Kitta is so mean to him and gray or because he was used to being outdoors or what it can be going on. The fact is that its driving my roomates crazy and I am feeling really stressed as I dont know what to do.

I cant let the cats go outside becausa I live in a very busy location, plus my other cats are strictly indoors.

I have two litter boxes in my room (covered) which gray and scar use and kitta has her own box in another room. What do you think I should do to try and solve this issue as its making me super stressed out?

He does poop in the litter box, but once in a while, maybe once or twice a day he pees in the carpet =(

Eddie

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you cleaned the pee spots really well with an enzymatic cleaner or vinegar? If not, your cats can still smell the pee in the carpet and that tells them its alright to pee there some more.

Also, uncover the litterboxes. If there's an issue with litter usage, don't ever cover the box, it never helps, and it is usually one of the underlying causes. Cats need to feel secure when they do their business, and they feel trapped inside should an aggressor (Kitta) come by. In nature, cats are most vulnerable while they are going to the bathroom. That is why they cover their feces and maintain a high alertness while using the litterbox.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If kitty has been doing this from the start, it's best to take him to the Vet and have them collect a urine sample and rule out him having a urinary tract infection/crystals.

Secondly, cats have a very very sharp sense of smell......so even if WE think we cleaned the area they peed/pooped on, they maybe can still smell it and will then continue to "go" there. You need to clean the area very well with a proper cleaner.....something that contains "enzymes" specific for Cat Urine......something like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Can buy these at any Pet Supply store (or online, like at www.petsmart.com). Not that expensive. You have to TOTALLY saturate the area where they've peed...right down to the UNDERLAY (the padding beneath the carpet). If you want to know for sure where he's peed.....you can purchase for cheap a "black light" at the same pet suppy store (usually sold in the section that contains these enzymatic cleaners). It's basically just a hand-held flashlight sort of gizmo with a black light bulb....and you shine it over surfaces with the lights off...and anywhere the cat has peed, these areas will GLOW when you hold the black light over them. Be sure to "mark" these areas somehow so that when you turn the lights back on, you know where to go back and properly clean.

It could be stress, too.....that started it. Try some Feliway Spray or Plug-ins for a few months.

Maybe try buying another litterbox, one that is NOT covered. Some cats are fussy and don't like a covered box (maybe they feel vulnerable once inside, because they can't "see" what's going on outside of the box).

The rule with litterboxes is 1 box per cat plus an extra one. I have 5 cats and I can tell you.....some boxes they will only pee in, others they will only poop in. I've seen them use one to pee in....then they'll move down to the next one to poop in LOL. Some are just fussy that way.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In our experience Nature's Miracle doesn't work, and vinegar works only temporary. It doesn't break down the urea and any humidity will cause the smell to return. Only an enzyme cleaner will work. We use Nok Out (http://www.nokout.com) and it is excellent.

It does take about a month or more for the hormones to cycle out of his system, so the temptation to "mark" may still be there. Is he spraying or peeing? If peeing, he needs to get back to the vet for a urinalysis (was one done?) The stress of the new environment - especially if you've changed his food - may have him producing crystals, which would be a reason he's not using the box.

And the suggestion to add more litter boxes (at least for now) is a great idea as well.

You may also want to try using Cat Attract litter. You can find a place that sells it by typing your zip code at this site: http://www.preciouscat.com/

sarahniccole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This sounds like EXACTLY what Im going through with my male neutered cat (previously indoor/outdoor) that I brought into a home with my 2 indoor kitties. He's been peeing everywhere too and just driving me crazy! I am in the process of re-training him to use the box. I followed the advice of some people on here and have him in a room by himself with a litterbox, food, and water. I just bought the Cat Attract litter (it was pretty expensive but worth it if it actually works) and just keep him in that room with the door shut and make sure my other 2 dont get in there and use his box in case thats the reason he wont pee in it. When I checked on him this morning, he had peed twice in the box! I was so happy! Its only the first day but Im hoping after some time, he will use it regularly and I can bring him into the rest of the house again. Im also in the process of cleaning up all the pee spots in the house, which is going to be a MAJOR undertaking...sigh. I bought some stuff at PETCO that is their own brand of urine odor and stain remover. So far, it seems to really take the smell away better than Nature's Miracle which didnt work for me at all. Best of luck to you and Im right there with you!!

hillbillywoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a neutered male that was peeing on my rugs. After I got advice here, I bought another, larger litter box, some Cat Attract litter (I only have the one cat) and it helped tremendously, not completely. Fortunately I have hard wood floors in my house with only a few throw rugs scattered about, so I ended up removing the rugs. He won't pee on bare floor. Its no big deal to me to not have any rugs down.