Male cat new strange peeing / never did this before

onlinefeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat, approx 8 yrs old, was rescued, his name is Spike. We just moved into an apt that has had no previous animals. I have a lemale not spayed yet, but in the other house he never peed, anywhere except his box. We moved from a house that loud, abusive young kids that stressed the cats out so much they hid all day. IN this house the situation is quiet, the cats love the kids which are older and not loud nor abusive.  Problem is male cat keeps peeing on kids bed lines (have washed multiple times and read in previous forums that they like the smell of bleach, etc and / or could be trying to re-establish his scent. Great, I understand that, but this morning he peed on my MALE roomates gym bag yet he sleeps on his bed and never pees on that. He  usues his litter box but it is only at night that does his peeing thing.

He does not have a UTI ...and cats DO pee where they eat because in that other intolerable situation, his litter box was 2 ft away for his food...and he didn't do that and they even had a dog...no peeing. So what do thing is going on here?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, is he neutered?  An unspayed female could be in heat or "silent heat" and he is marking to establish that she is his.  How many litterboxes do you have?  The rule of thumb is one more per cat.  So, if you have 2, you need 3 boxes places somewhere.  Some cats are very picky about using a box another cat uses. 

Did you just move?  If so it could be that he is still unsure of the place and trying to make it his own.  The kids rooms and probably a few other places you haven't found yet.  The gym bag is understandable... It is sweaty and cats love human sweat scents... The sweatier and stinkier the better!  Males have a stronger sweat scent than females. 

Bleach isn't good enough.  He can still smell it.  If he can still smell it, he will continue to mark it so the scent doesn't go away.  I would get some feliway diffusers and the calming collar for good measure.  If it's stress and anxiety, those will help a lot.  There are some enzyme cleaners that help a lot in cleaning up the scent totally.  I would use those.  Just look for them under enzyme pet pee cleaners.  I would also make appointments to get him checked at the vet and spay your female asap.... She can spray, too.  It may not be just him!