Male Cat (neutered) continues to pee on me.

marbear56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm completely new to this forum but after reading through a few threads and some articles/forums online, I decided to ask my question here. 

I have two cats (biological brothers) Beag and Finn that I adopted in June - they have both just turned 6 months old this past October, both were neutered in early September. 

Out of their two personalities, Beag has taken to me extremely closely (he'll spend 4-5 hours a day directly laying near me, and will mew back and forth with me in conversation). Finn on the other hand has always been more solitary - he'll expose his belly to me rolling around when I get home from work and greet him - but other than that he prefers to sit up in our loft bed, our cat trees, or other perches we have made for them around the apartment. We have two litter boxes which both cats actively use, but for some reason ever since kittenhood, Finn has had a habit of getting on top of me while I'm sitting on a couch or bed and peeing on me. (Full peeing not just a sprinkle)

Everytime he does I remove him from the area, recheck to make sure the litter boxes are clean (I clean them daily), then clean all the surfaces with an enzymatic cleaner. This behavior is usually inconsistent and will happen maybe two to three times a month at seemingly random occasions. What is consistent is that it's always on me or my clothing (not my boyfriend or his clothing). 

I've had Finn checked for urinary problems or an infection, but the vet reports he's doing fine. I take time each day to play with both cats one on one.

Any thoughts on if this might be a behavioral thing? Is he jealous of the attention Beag gets from me - or is it something else?

Thanks,

M

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome marbear56!

This is a tricky one, and I really don't know how to help except to ask whether you've noticed any specific event that could trigger it?  I doubt it's random... it's just a matter of finding that trigger. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marbear56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Mani! Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

I just cant think of anything obvious that would have been a trigger - no sounds/new smells/behavior from my boyfriend or myself. (I was just sitting under a blanket watching tv). 

The only thing I can think of is that I often smell like my other cat Beag, (his brother), only because Beag loves to nuzzle with me (purring, nuzzling and kitten headbutts), so I might smell like him and not Finn. 

That being said,(( although Finn isn't nearly as overly affectionate as his brother)), I still get greeted by him daily with purrs, mews, him rubbing on my legs when I get home from work, and him rolling on the floor with his belly showing. (Beag and Finn both seem to own the house equally - they often share the same cat bed (even though they have two) and can be found playing together all of the time)

Can cats still have such a blatant self confidence problem like marking something with scent, even if all of their other displays are of a comfortable confident healthy cat?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

Can cats still have such a blatant self confidence problem like marking something with scent, even if all of their other displays are of a comfortable confident healthy cat?
Yes, indeed they can...

Do they snuggle up together? Just wondering whether a bit of scent swapping would help... grooming them with the same brush, for example.  And a Feliway diffuser could also help.

marbear56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The two constantly lay together (we have multiple cat beds but they'll still choose to intertwine in the same one). I've heard of trying a dab of vanilla extract on them will make everyone smell the same - but I'm not sure if there is any truth to that.

I've seen the Feliway diffusers at PetSmart - do they work well?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
The vanilla thing is something that is recommended when you bring a cat home from the vet, for example.  It can stop or lessen all that 'you've been to that place' hissing and carrying on.  You could always give it a go.  It's certainly cheaper than Feliway.  Feliway is, in my opinion, worth a go, but it is expensive.  Of course the vanilla is about smelling the same, and Feliway is about feline pheromones.

Can you keep a 'cat weeing on me' diary?   Seriously, it can help to note down absolutely everthing about the event so that you may find a trigger.  And it will give you an idea of how often he's doing it.  Hopefully it will settle down and you won't have a need, but in the meantime it's really helpful.

They look gorgeous, all curled up together. 

marbear56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the help with this - hopefully things will settle down. I plan to pick up Feliaway from Petsmart this weekend. 

He had another incident this morning so I've scheduled a vet visit just to reconfirm that it's not a reoccuring sensitivity or infection! (I've heard that sometimes kitty UTI's are difficult to detect) so that may shed some light on things.

As long as he's not in pain - I'll take my time with enzyme based cleaner to help him get over his funky behavior. 

I'll update if I find out more information either way! 

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, please do let us know how you're getting on...

Good luck!

fudge2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if it has anything to do with him marking his Territory? After you clean that area he might want to do it again because he can't smell it? It might help if you put out a towel where he does it the most and he might keep dong it there? Have you had any problems with the other cat? I would like it if you would get back to me thanks.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I wonder if it has anything to do with him marking his Territory? After you clean that area he might want to do it again because he can't smell it? It might help if you put out a towel where he does it the most and he might keep dong it there? Have you had any problems with the other cat? I would like it if you would get back to me thanks.
I think that may be a bit tricky, fudge2, as Finn is weeing right on her! 

marbear56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fudge2  

I wonder if it has anything to do with him marking his Territory? After you clean that area he might want to do it again because he can't smell it? It might help if you put out a towel where he does it the most and he might keep dong it there? Have you had any problems with the other cat?
Hi fudge2! Sorry for my delay in getting back to you! Thank you for the ideas. 

I'm not really so sure it's territorial (although I'm certainly not ruling it out) - unless of course Finn is simply territorial over me! It does make me wonder a bit since Beag is usually much more cuddly with me, but I've been purposely looking at Finn's behavior over the past few days and I've realized he's the same as always towards me (not evasive, but not always willing to sleep with me probably equals him just being a  normal cat). More than snuggling Finn loves to play - he gets really into feather toys on a string, and my laser pointer. 

My worry right now is that he's just trying to tell me something hurts, I spoke with the vet over the phone today and set up and appointment for tomorrow afternoon to get him checked out. Hopefully an in-depth check with help me rule out that it's something physical. 

The randomness of it is what's getting to me - and as Mani suggested, I've tried to create a log of when it's happened that I can review with the vet!

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with the results! Thanks!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi fudge2! Sorry for my delay in getting back to you! Thank you for the ideas. 

I'm not really so sure it's territorial (although I'm certainly not ruling it out) - unless of course Finn is simply territorial over me! It does make me wonder a bit since Beag is usually much more cuddly with me, but I've been purposely looking at Finn's behavior over the past few days and I've realized he's the same as always towards me (not evasive, but not always willing to sleep with me probably equals him just being a  normal cat). More than snuggling Finn loves to play - he gets really into feather toys on a string, and my laser pointer. 

My worry right now is that he's just trying to tell me something hurts, I spoke with the vet over the phone today and set up and appointment for tomorrow afternoon to get him checked out. Hopefully an in-depth check with help me rule out that it's something physical. 

The randomness of it is what's getting to me - and as Mani suggested, I've tried to create a log of when it's happened that I can review with the vet!

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with the results! Thanks!
    First thought was possible bladder infection................What did the vet say?

sofia123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think since beag has a lot of the affection finn Is probably just marking his territory so he can that you are both of theirs

fudge2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thanks I just got on to check it anything was new could you post directly to me? Keep me updated plz.
GOOD LUCK!

fudge2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
'I think since beag has a lot of the affection finn Is probably just marking his territory so he can that you are both of theirs'

That is what I meant the first time

Last edited by a moderator:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not territorial I don't think because he'd be spraying.
As your vet to refer you to a cat psychologist. You do have them in America right? There's a man in England who's marvellous. I think this is your best chance. It could be jealousy but the 'shrink' would know. Good luck.

marbear56

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay - sorry for such a delay in updating you all! Here's the latest!

We ended up taking Finn to the vet on Tuesday, and ordering a slue of  kitty supplies off of amazon last weekend. 

The vet was unable to pinpoint if it was an infection, but she did have a good theory. She said that it's common in some cats to get an infection, get stressed about the infection, and then have bladder inflammation flare up every time they got mildly stressed, which in turn caused more stress. 

So here's the medication and food recommendation he's been put on. Beag is eating the food too, as it's borderline impossible to keep him away from Finns food, but there are no bad side effects for him, even if he doesn't have an inflamed bladder like his brother. 

The Prescription Finn is on

The special bladder food (Beag Approved - (they got excited when I grabbed the bag to take a picture))

All of these things have equaled no pee accidents in a week! And two very happy cats. Also Finn is starting to be more social again, is back to sleeping in the bed with my boyfriend and I (right in between us with his brother), and back to sitting on me. He is still nowhere near as snuggly as his brother - but that's his personality and he still shows plenty of affection, just in his own adorable way. 

I'll continue to update if there are any changes! Thank you all so much for the help!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
So glad things have worked out!

It wouldn't surprise me if the Feliway is doing the job. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking I may need felliway even if it's just to calm blighty down when picked up to go to the vet. But it's do very expensive.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I got feliway. Expensive's not the word. How much is it in America?
Now.
How do I use it. I'll be needing it on Wednesday to calm him so I can take him to the vet.
Help.