Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Male Cat Might Be Playing Too Rough??

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by dvards, Jul 11, 2018.

1. dvards

dvards Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Jun 10, 2018
    I have two babies one male and one female. (female is 2 yrs, male is 6months.) they absolutely love eachother but he is growing very fast as he is almost the same size as her. he likes to wrestle a lot and she makes loud meows / groans & hisses at him sometimes. I think he may be playing too rough? because when he’s not doing that she loves to play & groom him. does anyone else have this problem? or knows a solution? :(

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    With this description, you and they are fine. She will probably give him a smack if she decides things are going overboard. That's her role, to teach him manners.
    If you become uncomfortable with things, you could take the role as his mama, and give him a big HISS.

dvards purraised this.

3. Hellenww

Hellenww TCS Member Adult Cat

Mar 5, 2018
    South Jersey, USA
    I have 2 that are also about 18 mt apart in age and got the younger one, Sqeeker, at 7 mt. Yoshi, the older of the 2, didn't start playing with his full 16 lb of muscle until Sqeeker was about a year and half old. Both of them over 10 yrs now and get along great. Your girl will let him know when to back off.

dvards and Furballsmom purraised this.

4. susanm9006

susanm9006 TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 20, 2011
    With one swift paw to his nose she could put him in his place even if he was twice her size. But adult cats are often very tolerant of kitten misbehavior so he may not see a really strong reaction from her for a few more months or maybe never. And if she is grooming him, she is very fond of him.

Furballsmom purraised this.

5. rubysmama

rubysmama Forum Helper Staff Member Forum Helper

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    Hello and welcome to TCS. Is your male kitten neutered? If not, that could explain his behaviour.

6. jen

jen TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 27, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    If the male is neutered then I wouldn't worry. This is normal cat and kitten behavior. Cats communicate with growls and hisses and meows. Let them do this so they learn each others boundaries otherwise you will end up with neurotic cats lol. Don't react negatively to their communication.

dvards purraised this.

7. dvards

Jun 10, 2018
    he was neutered 1 week ago, maybe his behavior will change now

8. jen

jen TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 27, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the female spayed?

9. dvards

Jun 10, 2018
    no she is not

10. jen

jen TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 27, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    He is still fertile for a few weeks after being neutered... I would keep him away from her. Or spay her? Any reason she isn't done yet?

11. rubysmama

rubysmama Forum Helper Staff Member Forum Helper

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    It does take a bit of time for the hormones to get out of his system. And if she's going into heat, that could have something to do with it too. I'd get her spayed asap, before she gets pregnant. Hopefully she isn't already. :crossfingers: