Male Cat Licking Scrotum After Neutering

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all
I got my 1 yr old cat neutered today and he seemed fine.
After 6 hours we let him out of his crate to drink water and walk around, and we put him back in.
When we left him alone for 2 minutes we found blood all over the floor coming from that area, he probably licked it or he hit himself somehow.
The blood was hard to stop, we had to press on the wound for 3 minutes while we called the vet and obviously he pointed out our mistakes.
This is our first time getting a cat neutered and we knew something about post operative care, we asked questions but sometimes that's not enough.

So now he calmed down, and from 8 on until now, 2 am I left him in his cage.
I woke up thinking he might be thirsty, which he was, and went back to bed.
I started hearing some noises and I checked him and I saw that he was licking his scrotum area.
He didn't damage it but I am very scared that he might open the site again. The vet didn't glue/add stitches and he PROMISED us that he won't lick himself in that area...

He didn't have an e-collar and I couldn't find one since it was Sunday.
It's 2 am now here, he calmed down and he went to sleep.
What should I do if he keeps licking that area??? I can't find a pet store open at this time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*he managed to escape somehow and we found him bleeding

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't provide an e-collar (or the cone of shame?) I'm rather surprised because every vet I have gone to, did! You need to take your cat to the vet to look at the damage and see if he needs new stitches. Also to get another collar. I suggest the moment they open. In the meantime if you can't get a collar I would put pet diapers or baby diapers with a hole cut in them for the tail to block his access. What on earth was your vet thinking!?!?!!?!??!?!!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? (If your cat makes a mess in the diaper you can clean him off with a washcloth and warm water or unscented baby wipes in a pinch.)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The licking is normal because they are trying to get the vet stink off of them. Is he still licking? In the morning, contact the vet and see if he needs to come back for a check of the incisions.

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't provide an e-collar (or the cone of shame?) I'm rather surprised because every vet I have gone to, did! You need to take your cat to the vet to look at the damage and see if he needs new stitches. Also to get another collar. I suggest the moment they open. In the meantime if you can't get a collar I would put pet diapers or baby diapers with a hole cut in them for the tail to block his access. What on earth was your vet thinking!?!?!!?!??!?!!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? (If your cat makes a mess in the diaper you can clean him off with a washcloth and warm water or unscented baby wipes in a pinch.)
I woke up again to check him and I applied some Baneocin Powder on the wound but as I expected he licked it all...
It's the same powder that the vet applied.
It's killing me that he avoided to answer my question, cause I kept asking him "What if he licks that area?" And he was like " Noooo, he won't do that"...It's exactly what he's done.
It's 5:30 am and I have to wait until 9 for the pet store to open.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was I suggested a baby diaper with a hole cut in it ... as an emergency stop gap measure. Every cat tries to lick the incision, it is instinct to lick a wound. Your vet is an idiot or negligent. I hope there are more vets in your area you can take your future business to.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most males don't come home with stitches or anything. My guy didn't come home with a cone and he licked more than I liked the first day. After that, he calmed down and was fine. Hope your guy settles down and stops licking.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still kept a cone on them for 3-4 days afterwards and tried to keep them from being to active for a week or two. I guess now days they are sealing it with surgical glue? My last neuter 5 or so years ago, didn't get a cone but it was our semi feral mainly outdoor cat ... it was more of a trap & release then taking home a pet which you just neutered. We still kept an eye on him and had a cone already at home just in case it was needed.

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers.

After my 2 yrs old cat died from neutering, because his heart couldn't take the anesthesia due to an older dog bite I lost faith in my local vet.
This time I spent a lot of time finding a new one and gave many calls and this new vet gained my confidence because he was the only one who asked me about his medical history.
He seemed very professional when we first took our cat there and that's why we chose this one.
It was hard for my cat because we had to drive there for about 35 minutes.
When I called him he told me he is out of town because he's at a congress.

I'm getting ready to go to the pet store and ask for a e collar or a diaper and maybe a pain killer for him?
He fell asleep really hard and he was tossing around and he was sighing, I figured it must be painful, maybe that's why he licks himself.
Should I give him a pill?

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also spoke to another vet and he told me to keep putting that powder on the incision even if he keeps licking it. Why would I do that since the moment he smells it /feels it he starts licking it?

This is him right now.
IMG_20170911_084650.jpg
it's not a good photo because he keeps walking around.
I gave him some food and water and now I am waiting for him to pee/poop so I can put him back in the cage while I'm gone.
UPDATE: I got the cone and he hates it...It's a piece of plastic.
I left him in his cage to calm down. I've noticed that if we leave him alone he would sleep.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to call the vet who did the neuter and explain what's going on. Also, you might need to take him back in.

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to call the vet who did the neuter and explain what's going on. Also, you might need to take him back in.
I called him today and he told me that the bleeding would stop. He's not bleeding that much, I'd say it was only a drop today.
I told him about the blood and he suggested moving him to a bigger crate so I placed him in my old guinea pig cage and there's much more space for him now. I think the blood was because the first crate was too small for him to move freely, and I noticed he kept tossing around and I thought maybe he rubbed that area and that caused the bleeding.
He advised me to add some antiseptic powder on and improvise a onesie if he keeps licking the area.
He hasn't licked the incision in 5 hours so I think the new cage helps, I don't know if I need to apply powder yet, I am going to wait until tomorrow. He doesn't lick it aggressively, he likes to keep that area clean, from what I've noticed...
Also I fed him small portions of wet food today and he had a lot of water. He peed today and yesterday and I am waiting for him to poop too. I suppose that will take some time since he hasn't been eating a lot since the surgery so I need to give him time.

He acts just fine, he actually purrs a lot more and he keeps asking to be petted, which he rarely did before.
I keep checking the incision and it looks normal now, just like the first photo that I uploaded here.
He is getting enough sleep and from time to time I let him out to walk around in my room, but I don't allow him to jump or run.

The vet told me to keep him in the cage for now and he said there is no need for me to panic, and he told me to call him if things change.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With males, as long as they aren't licking it raw, it should be fine. Their insides aren't going to fall out or anything like with a female. It can be treated like any cut. The bleeding the first day sounds concerning. . .I've never had one bleed that much. But as long as it's stopped now that's OK.

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With males, as long as they aren't licking it raw, it should be fine. Their insides aren't going to fall out or anything like with a female. It can be treated like any cut. The bleeding the first day sounds concerning. . .I've never had one bleed that much. But as long as it's stopped now that's OK.
Well I'm not sure what happened, cause we left him alone and he managed to open the crate and he probably tried to jump on my furniture and we found him bleeding.

Now the area looks fine to me, no blood, it's not swollen, he keeps it clean.
We both got a good night sleep, I woke up after 6 hours to see if he's hungry but he was still asleep.
Now it's almost 9 am and he is having his breakfast and his morning walk (in my room). + He also peed moments ago

By the way, my room smells quite bad, like a hospital room but much worse, I can't describe it, and his blanket smells bad too, like medicine I would say... I have to replace it again.
And his urine smells is stinky too, could it be because he is having hormonal changes? He's probably flushing out the medicine and anesthetic and some hormones.

MEGA UPDATE: HE POOPED!!! He didn't struggle and the consistency was normal.
I am so so so happy!!!

Last edited:

muffym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is him now, almost sleeping. He looks very pleased now that he pooped.
Usually after he poops he starts running like crazy, like there's no holding back. (not this time tho, I didn't allow him to run, but he was really happy and energetic).
IMG_20170911_220649.jpg