Male Cat Leaking Fluid From Anus?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 year old male cat named Bear. He’s got a medium length coat. He’s neutered. He’s an indoor cat. He’s active and eating well.

A few months ago, he had diarrhea that passed within a few days, so we decided not to take him in. The next day, I picked him up and this weird cloudy liquid came dripping down my hand. It was coming from his back fur. He had some matting, so I thought diarrhea had somehow gotten stuck in his fur. I bathed him and snipped the mats out.

Last week, he was laying next to me and smelled like the litter box. I tried to look at his behind once again, and noticed he had some gunk stuck in his fur again, not wet, but I gave him a bath and brushed it out.

Then, tonight, I picked him up and the same cloudy fluid came from his behind. It smelled strange, not like pee or poop, but still made me gag. If I tried to even touch his back fur, he would growl and hiss at me (not sure if he was in pain or was angry at me touching him). I had to know what was going on so I had a friend restrain him while I shone a flashlight and discovered his actual anus was wet (sorry it’s gross I know). Btw, his stool is currently normal.

I’m calling the vet tomorrow, but I’m just worried about what is going on. Has anyone had anything similar to this? What caused it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely the anal gland secretions. Sometimes the glands get full and start to leak. The vet can empty the glands and show you how to empty them at home yourself in the future.

jjc1140

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with the post above. It sounds possible that it is the Anal gland secreting the fluid and it will smell pretty bad. It could have became plugged when he had the diarrhea because his stool was soft and not formed. An easy explanation would be that formed stool is essentially what keeps it functioning normal and soft stool or diarrhea could have caused it to become plugged. Have you noticed him trying to scoot his butt on the carpet? Gross, I know but sometimes they will do that but not always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! You guessed it... clogged anal glands. The vet taught me how to do it so I guess I can add that to my list of skills!