Male Cat Keeps Sneaking Into The Kittens,acting Like Queen?

LadyBlue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten Father ...trying to bath and cuddle with 9 day old kittens ....the Queen is being a good mother but he keeps trying to help by acting like the queen in taking care of the babies ? I'm new to cats and learning as much as possible ...What should I do ? I'm an old lady and loving my 3 cats ....Dad is a Sphinx.... Mom is a Devon Rex .... Thanking everyone in advance

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some males like to be the daddy, even if they aren't biologically :). It's so sweet.

But. . .if he isn't neutered he shouldn't be around the mother cat, as she can get pregnant again right away, and that would be too taxing on her system. Responsible breeding means spacing out the litters appropriately.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And congrats on the new kittens. :catlove:

Does mama mind daddy being around the kittens? If not, then it's probably ok. But I don't think I'd leave him with them if someone isn't around to supervise.

W Willowy has a good point, though. Cats can become pregnant again while still nursing, and without having a noticeable heat, so if "daddy" isn't neutered, maybe it would be best to keep him away from mama and the kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he’s friendly and not aggressive towards the kittens, and mom does not mind, it’s okay.

Under your supervision is best, and especially if, as stated, he is not neutered.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father kitty will not leave moms side. I am being very vigilant to the fact he is not fix yet (appointment 1st of the month) but he too cleans and cuddles kitten when it's not nursing.
Aww, aren't they cute together! Keep in mind that he may be fertile for a couple of weeks after neutering (sneaky sperm hiding in the tubes), so don't let your guard down right away. Continue to supervise closely for at least 2 weeks after his surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadyBlue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some males like to be the daddy, even if they aren't biologically :). It's so sweet.

But. . .if he isn't neutered he shouldn't be around the mother cat, as she can get pregnant again right away, and that would be too taxing on her system. Responsible breeding means spacing out the litters appropriately.
Thank You for helping ....now Mom, Dad and babies are all together in the small crate she chose as home .... she even leaves him to babysit while she checks out the house .... Go figure