Male Cat Diagnosed With Fus, Hospitalized For A Week And Sent Home, Advice On Aftercare.

Iwasnormal3catsago

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My cat Tiny is a year and 8 months, he is neutered, and prior to this had no medical issues. 2 weeks ago I noticed he was spending a little more time in the litter box and assumed he had worms so I dewormed him, and the symptoms went away. A couple days later I noticed he was having the symptoms again and took him to the vet. He was diagnosed with FUS, he had a complete blockage. The vet kept him from Sunday until this last Friday and had him on an IV and a catheter. He was sent home with antibiotics and a medicine to continue dissolving the crystals. Since I brought him home he's been very good about letting me take care of him, he's eating well and I've been adding a lot of water to his canned food along with carefully suringing water to make sure he drinks. It's been two days since we came home, and he seems to still be a little uncomfortable going to the restroom and licks himself after, occasionally he will hiss...is this normal? I feel like it may be because there is still some trauma going on down there due to the crystals and catheter, but I don't want to assume. I'm so scared he is going to get blocked up again, any insight into other cat parents experiences after an FUS diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I don't have direct experience with this, my boy had the Pu surgery before I got him. However I am sending all sorts of best wishes to you and your kitty!
Hopefully someone with experience in this will weigh in for you soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iwasnormal3catsago

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank yiu so much for the well wishes! I appreciate them so much So glad to hear your baby had such a good recovery! Merry Christmas!
Hi!
I don't have direct experience with this, my boy had the Pu surgery before I got him. However I am sending all sorts of best wishes to you and your kitty!
Hopefully someone with experience in this will weigh in for you soon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you :sunshine:

Im like you, i was wondering if he's hissing because the catheter "area" is still sore?

Let me see if I can tag someone for you...