Male cat attacking female cat

anakhnu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how to format posts like this! Hello, I need help. I have two cats, both mature (13+). The female is younger than the male by about 4 years, but they have lived together for 10. We moved to a new house last year, as I think my other post was about, but they've since gotten used to it and are fine and comfortable. Except, within the past few months at night when they're both in my room (not the whole year!) the male cat will attack the female cat for no reason when she is just laying there on my bed. Usually it's only bats and hisses and I can push him off once or twice and he'll go away. That is not what just happened.

More information before I go onwards: Both cats are fixed. We got a dog recently, and the cats hate him. My family is trying to get the cats acclimated to the dog while I'm convinced it's a totally lost cause given that the male is still scared of him coming close and the female hates the fact he exists at all. They have been staying together in my room for nearly a month (and we have given them chances to leave. They're free to whenever they want. They just.. don't want to with the dog around.) and until now things have been totally normal and fine. Some hissing, some smacking, but overall no huge fights or anything - not that they really have those ever. The male sleeps wherever the hell in my room, usually, and the female sleeps in a safe spot under my bed. Cat anxiety and all. My room is also very big, thankfully. The male has and is medicated for hyperthyroidism. The female just kind of has cat anxiety.

I was sitting in bed trying to fall asleep just now when I heard the most... I can't even describe it. Caterwauling agonized hissyowl. I don't know. It was awful. I got up immediately and looked and he was behind a curtain that her claw was stuck on, helped her claw out of the curtain as he jumped off the windowsill, and then immediately had to stop him from jumping back up and attacking her. While I did this, I noticed a gigantic clump of fur in his mouth. She instantly jetted under the bed and when he tried to follow I scooped him up and carried him away angrily. He's currently in a completely different room while she's under the bed, and I'm exhausted at 12:30 am trying to figure out why the hell they were fighting so violently at all. They've playfought before, and sometimes he goes too far, it's true. But I've never heard her make that sound before. I don't know what to do.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could definitely be the dog. Stressed cats lash out at friend pets or even at their humans (be careful). And lashing out leads to pain and bad memories that can sour cat relationships. So it wouldn't have necessarily been instant and there could have been some delay from when the dog got there and the serious problems your having now. With senior cats, illness is also a likely possibility that you need a vet visit to evaluate. Cats that don't feel well are much more likely to have problems with other pets.

Isolate them until you can get the vet visit done, then we'll regroup and figure this out. Good luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since things have escalated since the arrival of the dog, I think it's very possible that the fighting is caused by stress and/or redirected aggression. Watch and see how things go today, and if there's still aggression between the cats, you may have to separate them, and re-introduce them. A vet visit is also a good idea, as one of the cats might not be feeling well, and stress can bring on physical things like UTIs. Also, as A ArtNJ mentioned, be very careful breaking up a cat fight, as you could end up accidentally getting bitten or scratched.

TCS has some articles on various topics that you might find helpful, so I'll post the links. Good luck. Hope things settle down soon.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

Ouch! More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Cat Bites – TheCatSite Articles

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is there a way the dog, as the newest family member, can be confined to a part of the house away from the cats ? ... We have 4 dogs and currently 5 cats ... - cats reign over the upstairs ... dogs have the downstairs ... dogs are much better at being confined to a smaller area than cats - dog gates are easier than making cat gates . Some cats will not like dogs ... ever ... I have two cats who sort of tolerate dogs , 2 who will avoid them and one who refuses to even come down the stairs. If your girl is easily stressed ... there are ways to build her or your boy a nighttime catio where they can feel safe ( out of wire cube shelving for example ... put a play tree in and a litter box and some cubbies and enclosed spaces - feed her yummy treats or dinner in there ... ). It sounds all like re-directed aggression and I would do a pheromone diffuser but also ... try to separate dogs and cats as far away as possible...