Male Cat Anxiety. Upping Meds?

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
11yo old male on 5mg Prozac upping to 10mg. Good idea?

My 11yo male kitty, Baby, has been on Prozac for the last 5 months due to him freaking out and attacking my 1 year old cat (Trjegul) when she and my other cat Callie were playing together one night. At night we would lock them all out on the back porch, plenty of room for 3 cats, then let them out in the morning. After the fight and a few weeks of separation and his new medication things went back to normal.
Tonight, due to him keeping us awake, we are going to start locking him out back again with the others.

Real question:
The doctor told me at anytime I could up his medication from half a pill to the full 10mg since he is responding so well to it. She said that it wouldn't be that big of a jump after a few months being on it but I wanted to check here first in case. Also, is it better to give the medication in the AM or PM regardless if I change it. The vet said it didn't matter but I would like those who have given it to give me their thoughts. Thank you!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to let the vet know so that your Rx can be increased. One thing you absolutely do not want is to run out and have to stop his medicine cold. This is a very bad thing to have happen. When he goes off of it it will need to be gradual. Best to let the vet know so she can inform the pharmacy. You don't want the pharmacy suspecting that you're taking the Prozac and refusing to sell it to you.

Note: I have no idea whatsoever about whether or not you should increase his medicine. I'd start by letting him sleep in your bedroom to sooth his nerves, but that's just me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be sure to let the vet know so that your Rx can be increased. One thing you absolutely do not want is to run out and have to stop his medicine cold. This is a very bad thing to have happen. When he goes off of it it will need to be gradual. Best to let the vet know so she can inform the pharmacy. You don't want the pharmacy suspecting that you're taking the Prozac and refusing to sell it to you.

Note: I have no idea whatsoever about whether or not you should increase his medicine. I'd start by letting him sleep in your bedroom to sooth his nerves, but that's just me.
Hi! She told me to call her at any point in time to up the dosage of his medication. Unfortunately, my husband is a no go for letting him into the bedroom. He never slept with us, just wanted fed every five minutes if he knew we were home. I work at the hospital where his medication is filled so I'm not worried about that. Thank you so much for your reply!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
At night we would lock them all out on the back porch,
In my opinion, it's entirely possible that things "went back to normal" more from him being elsewhere than on the back deck, than from meds. Putting a cat on Prozac in the first place because of a one-time fight, and now increasing the dosage - why, really?, isn't looking at the whole cat. Besides all this, one of the possible side effects is increased aggression so please be aware of that.

The original fight could easily have been caused from redirected aggression due to other animals in your back yard.

Try placing a trail camera so that you can see if there are animals in the back yard or nearby. If you see that there are, try a motion activated sprinkler (depending on where you're located). You can also place citrus peels if the animals are cats, or even spray citrus scented furniture polish, in the back yard to help deter wanderers.

Last edited:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our cat was on 5 mg of prozac and upped to 10 mg for pica and anxiety peeing. He's been on 10 mgs for years now. We do blood work on him twice a year to make sure everything is looking good. Prozac in cats is still considered off-label and we don't really know for sure yet if it's the safest thing. If we felt we had any other avenue we wouldn't use it if given the option but pica is very scary.

We pill him around the same time each night because it takes two of us and we are both home at that time. You want it around 24 hours between doses. So before bed works for us.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
just wanted fed every five minutes if he knew we were home.
By the way, have you checked with your vet as to why he's this hungry? Is he thirsty? Is he losing weight - can you weigh him every week or two to monitor that? Another side effect of Prozac is usually decreased appetite as well as sleepiness. Point being, if he's diabetic he shouldn't be on Prozac.

Last edited:

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, it's entirely possible that things "went back to normal" more from him being elsewhere than on the back deck, than from meds. Putting a cat on Prozac in the first place because of a one-time fight, and now increasing the dosage - why, really?, isn't looking at the whole cat. Besides all this, one of the possible side effects is increased aggression so please be aware of that.

The original fight could easily have been caused from redirected aggression due to other animals in your back yard.

Try placing a trail camera so that you can see if there are animals in the back yard or nearby. If you see that there are, try a motion activated sprinkler (depending on where you're located). You can also place citrus peels if the animals are cats, or even spray citrus scented furniture polish, in the back yard to help deter wanderers.
Hello!
Baby has been plagued by anxiety since he was a kitten, the fight was not the only reason we placed him on this medication. He had been over grooming for the last two years ever since our older cat passed away. My vet had wanted to put him on something for a while but I was against it. After he started the medication everything got much, much better for him. He no longer paces the house or over grooms himself. And he no longer is obsessed with food (as far as stealing other cats food, not wanting food at night). I will take the advice to place peals in the backyard, as far as a camera goes I will use my security camera in the cat room in case something happens. I will not up his medication at this time, but I really love your input. I take my cats very seriously since they are the only children I am able to have. THANK YOU!

Side note: He is also being vocal about being kept alone in our entire downstairs part of the house I think, we have a timed feeder for him but he still will meow for more. I think maybe he prefers eating at night.

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat was on 5 mg of prozac and upped to 10 mg for pica and anxiety peeing. He's been on 10 mgs for years now. We do blood work on him twice a year to make sure everything is looking good. Prozac in cats is still considered off-label and we don't really know for sure yet if it's the safest thing. If we felt we had any other avenue we wouldn't use it if given the option but pica is very scary.

We pill him around the same time each night because it takes two of us and we are both home at that time. You want it around 24 hours between doses. So before bed works for us.
I have to use a pill crusher for his medication. He has one tooth left so we give him soft food with that mixed in. Baby, my cat, also over grooms himself but all that stopped when we got him on this medication. He also no longer walks all over the house like a madman. If I didn't think he needed this medication I would skip it.
Oh wow, pica is scary! Good luck with your baby!

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, have you checked with your vet as to why he's this hungry? Is he thirsty? Is he losing weight - can you weigh him every week or two to monitor that? Another side effect of Prozac is usually decreased appetite as well as sleepiness. Point being, if he's diabetic he shouldn't be on Prozac.
My older cat was diabetic so I am keen to keep my eyes open for that, I took care of him for years. I make sure all of my cats get full blood work yearly and his was fine. We check our cats weight every two weeks and his is very consistent.
Again, thank you so much for your help!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I really love your input. I take my cats very seriously since they are the only children I am able to have. THANK YOU!
Bless your open mind and heart, :vibes: :redheartpump::redheartpump:
We check our cats weight every two weeks and his is very consistent.
You are WAY ahead of me :)

Where-ever you end up with him, could you try low volume music? There's classical harp music, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's MusicForCats . com as sources of relaxation for kitties :sunshine:

• Purraise
Reactions: Mim

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bless your open mind and heart, :vibes: :redheartpump::redheartpump:

You are WAY ahead of me :)

Where-ever you end up with him, could you try low volume music? There's classical harp music, there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's MusicForCats . com as sources of relaxation for kitties :sunshine:
Thank you for your kind word <3 You are wonderful!

SMART about that music idea! I will try that as well, I will set that up tonight! The camera will alarm me if they start to get into a fight, I also took into thought to cover up as many windows as I could. I wish I could keep them all in, but my husband has some health issues and sleep is necessary in hopes he goes into remission. Again, thank you. I feel much better now!