Male cat aggression issue

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have two male cats.  Samson a 4 year old Siamese tends to single out Miss Kitty and chases her for no reason.  Miss Kitty used to be an outside cat but was taken inside when she was injured.  Anny was a kitten ( around 4 months) who was introduced into the house from our back yard.  He is now about 9 - 10 months old.   He singles out Goldie and chases her and wont leave her alone. Then stops and is fine.  

All cats are neutered.  Since Goldie already has a nervous stomach and is very skinny, I would like to discourage both of them.  

Any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

I'm a little unclear on how many cats you have at present. Just to clarify:-

• Samson, male, 4
  • Miss Kitty, female, age ?
  • Anny, male, 9-10 months
  • Goldie, female, age ?

Is this correct, and is this everybody? Sorry if I'm being dense - it just helps to be sure ;)

Can I have a little more information about the various interactions and personalities involved? The ages of the girls might help too. The more information we have, the easier it is to pinpoint possible causes and solutions :)

Samson and Miss Kitty

What happens when he goes after her? Does it seem playful or more a case of showing her he's the boss? What, typically, would each of them be doing beforehand? Is Miss Kitty scared of him (does she hide when possible, have generally anxious body language etc)? How do these chases end? Does Samson make contact or just chase? Is there hissing, spitting, growling either before, during or after?

Anny and Goldie

At 9-10 months, Anny will be approaching the 'teenage' phase of development. At this age, they really are pushing the boundaries as hard as they can, testing to see what they can and cannot get away with and trying to assert their dominance. Their play drive and energy levels are at their height, and they seem to be almost inexhaustible balls of energy! It seems most likely that he's trying to play with Goldie, and is refusing to take 'no' for an answer. How does she respond when he does this? Is she scared or just irritated? Who ends it?

Sorry for so many questions! As I said, the more information we have, the easier it is to determine what's going on ;)

One thing that would help ALL of them tremendously is one on one daily interactive playtime with you. It's a great way to positively channel excess energy, reduce stress, build confidence where needed and generally help everyone get along better.[article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

Feliway multicat diffusers are worth a try. There are no guarantees, but they can often help diffuse tensions a little.

For Goldie, I really would suggest a vet check, just to be sure everything's ok with her. Skinniness and digestive issues can be down to more than just stress, so it's important to know that everything is working as it should be. If she really is a stress-head, she may benefit from a calming supplement (such as Composure), or even anti anxiety medication.[article="30274"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article]

If the issue is partly routed in lack of personal space for each of them, opening up vertical space with cat trees and other cat furniture can make a huge difference. Every cat needs a space of their own (and a space to own, for that matter ;) ). This thread is a great example of what can be achieved with a little imagination. Obviously, you don't need to be quite as extravagant as seen here (though they are some VERY lucky cats :nod: ), But keep in mind that opening up vertical space effectively increase the size of your home from the cats' perspective.[thread="297074"][/thread]

Did you carry out slow, gradual introductions each time you brought a new cat into the home? Territory is everything to cats, and each new addition can cause significant upset if not carefully handled. Many people (myself included for many years) don't realise how crucial the initial introduction stage can be.[article="32680"][/article]

These articles may prove helpful too:-[article="22480"][/article][article="32493"][/article][article="29678"][/article][article="32827"][/article][article="22328"][/article][article="32390"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22426"][/article][article="22537"][/article]