Male calico with cryptorchid?

archaicates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw some threads that suggested other cats with similar colorations were not male calico. So I thought I'd propose my Manx. He had cryptorchid when he was neutered (his surgery became quite invasive).

"Cryptorchidism is a feature of calico male cats (with XXY or mosaics of XX/XY).It is seen in other types of chromosomal anomalies." Source: http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rfoster/repropath/male/Male_feline/tomcat_main_frame.htm

He might not be a real Manx (speculation made by his rescuer) and he had vestibular disorder symptoms when he was found. Now he just has a small slant when he walks and sometimes he spins. His tail hair grew in nicely.

He has a creamy orange/brown on his face and down the underside of his tail. But he is mostly bicolor.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the calico, I'm sure someone experienced will jump in, but I wanted to say he is very, very pretty!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be nice to have a good pic of the whole body too, say taken from aside.

Why did the resucer speulcate in him being some sort of Manx?  With an apparent tail its not the first you will think of.

Even if there ARE Manx cats with a more or less normal tail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archaicates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought manx was more of a syndrome or genetic mutation more than a breed.

I just took pictures where he was not bicolor. He doesn't hold still.

View media item 387382
His rescuer thought he may have been injured by farm equipment and was wounded on the tip of this tail. The tail doesn't seem abnormal to the touch but he doesn't like me inspecting it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manx is a purebreed, you're thinking of the bobtail gene. He doesn't have the "rumpy/stumpy" gene like purebred Manx, his is a much longer bobtail. Usually with bobtails like that, they have all the usual number of tail vertebrae, but they get smushed up together. So if you feel his tail and it feels like jumbled-up vertebrae, he's a natural bobtail. If not, it may have been caused by an accident.

I can't tell if he's an actual calico or if it's just reddish-brown coloring. My cousin's kitty was cryptorchid and he's red and white, so it's not just a male calico thing.