Male Calico Cat

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_20171203_082057.jpg
IMG_20171203_082120.jpg
I have a couple of friends who have a male Calico cat. They say they don't need papers for him yet he's worth $2,000+.
I thought if a cat didn't have papers then it's just a domestic cat. Who is right?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Calico is a coat color pattern, not a breed, and while males that are calico or tortoiseshell are rare, it's not such a big deal as to make the cat worth that much. A male calico is usually sterile, so they can basically forget about breeding him. My sister has a male dilute tortie, and there's currently one at our shelter.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve never heard of anyone selling a male calico cat. They’re not a breed; it’s just a coat color that is rare in males, a genetic curiosity. You see, for a cat to be a calico (or a tortie) they have to have the O allele (coding for orange) and the o allele (coding for not orange). The O/o alleles sit on the X chromosome. So, for a cat to be Oo, they have to have two X chromosomes, which means female. The only way for a male to be a calico is for them to inherit an extra X-chromosome, making them XXY, the equivalent of Kleinefelter syndrome in humans. So, that’s why male calicos are usually sterile.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard people say that before (that a male calico is worth thousands of dollars), but, well, something is only worth what someone will pay you. And I don't know how many people would actually pay that much. It's just a cool conversation point.