Male Auddenly Jumpy And Afraid

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Somwthing strange is happening with my cats, most disturbingly, my older male.
First, everybody’s eating habits have changed. I feed my female and older boy wet chicken and she get a aomw Tiki shredded chicken moxed in, he gets Tiki fish variety mixed in, plus a little bit of dry food.
My younger male gets a brand of wet food mixed with a dry kitten formula. My older cats used to devour all of their food. Now, they walk away from it. Sometimes my younger male eats 3 cans a day, other times, he’s finicky too. It seems as though, after being content for years, each one wants the other’s food but there are reasons why they all get something different.
My female can’t tolerate certain foods because she has stomach issues. I’m still feeding the toung male kitten kibble because he’s a little on the skinny aide and I don’t know when he’ll actually br a year old. I don’t want my older cats eating that brcause they’re already overweight
Now, my male’s other issues. He doesn’t play anymore. No matter what I try, I can’t emgage him in play. He is fixated on treats in the kitchen and in my desk drawer, as well as a bag of food that I keep in a locked room, for the cats outside. As I mentioned above, he has become bery jumpy and afraid. I know that thyroid conditions can sometimes cause these things and I intend to get him checked but that doesn’t ezplain why they’ve all become so finicky at mealtime.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat food preferences are mysterious. If there is a medical, allergy or tolerance issue, or weight loss, thats obviously different, but otherwise, I recommend not overthinking what they like or don't, or any changes in same. If they have eaten something in the past, they will eat it in the future, if you keep putting it out. If they eat less for a few days, well, for most cats, that isn't a bad thing.

With a combination of changes going on, getting your cat checked out definitely makes sense, and it can't hurt to mention changes in food prefs to the vet. Beyond that, I wouldn't over think the food issue. My human kids routinely stop eating something they formerly liked AND falsely claim they never liked it. Why should cats make more sense?