Male Aggression Toward Feral Female Rescue

Kshab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

My name is Kayla. I’m new to this site because I’m having some troubles with my cats recently.

Some background:

I have 4 cats, all rescues, all spayed. Two are sisters, Sniggles and Piglet. They are roughly 11 years old.

Another female named Smokey was feral as a kitten, and we took her in. She’s the one being attacked. Very sweet, harmless and gentle demeanor. Can touch her if you need to catch her for a vet visit, for example, but she’d prefer if you didn’t touch. Comes up to us and let’s out cute cries for attention but we don’t touch her, as she’s skiddish. We let her climb on our lap on her own terms but we never pet because she’ll run. Another, the problem child, Is my boyfriend’s male cat, named Lucky. Formerly an outdoor cat, he’s very rambunctious. Likes to hunt. Is now an Indoor cat. We also have two dogs which don’t bother with the cats whatsoever but he doesn’t like dogs, so he avoids the living room where they lounge (possible stressor for him).

Smokey likes to play with the two other female cats. Lucky came last to our little family, and has grown to be ok with the two older females. But all he has to do is see Smokey and he chases her until he gets ahold of her. We try to stop him but he doesn’t even care about us, he just wants to get her. He has ripped chunks out of her back fur. He stalks her, and now she hides constantly. It’s a shame because we’ve come so far with making her feel comfortable. We’ve tried locking him up at night, having them play together. But he just sees it as an opportunity to attack, it seems. He’ll play all day, and we try to keep him active to release energy. He just seems to hate her. She does nothing to taunt him, she just walks around and tries to cuddle with the other cats. He won’t allow that.

The cats have plenty of vertical/climbable posts and toys. We open windows for them, and have a pretty relaxed household otherwise.

Any suggestions?
any help is greatly appreciated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's aggressive cat behaviour that brought you here. Hopefully we'll be able to help you gain peace in your feline family.

How long has Lucky been there? Did you do a separation and slow introduction with him and the other cats? The attacks on Smokey sound pretty bad. Poor girl.

Have you tried Feliway? Or calming treats/collars? Some members find they help.

Here's some TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight
Why Do Cats Attack?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is kinda out there, but occasionally rubbing BOTH cats with REAL vanilla can work wonders. It either does the trick or does nothing at all.