Male Adult Cat Hates new kitten

sophie07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have 3 cats already male 7years and 2 females 6 and 3 years old. A feral cat had a litter of kittens in my yard I found homes for 3 of them and decided that we wanted to keep one. She had a URI when we took her in. Has been to vets and put on meds. I kept her in the safe room for over a month because of her being sick and her weight was low. I did everything that I read that I was suppose to do to introduce the kitten to my other cats. I have also done this 2 other times and had a pretty smooth transition. I know that my male cat might be to old for a new kitten but I have never seen him act like this before. He doesn't try to hurt her or anything but he won't even give her a chance. I can't say that the girls love her yet but they are a little more tolerant and they are trying. He just sees her and starts to hiss. Was wondering if any of you have any other tricks that I can use. Did scent and room switching, also did tiny visits to start with just a few minutes at a time. Those visits went pretty good. So we started leaving the kitten a little longer each time. The longer we leave her out and about it seems the more the big cats start to dislike her. I don't want to rehome this kitty she is so sweet and cute and we have become a little attached to her. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate any help I can get. Also wanted to just add that he has no problem using the same litter box as the kitten and I also feed them all snacks in the same room not right next to each other but near each other and that went well. I am also using feliaway.

Thanks,

Nancy

Last edited:

thatone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I don't have experience introducing a new kitten to adult cats (just bringing adult cats together), so hopefully someone else will see your post and reply.   The male might have gotten "jealous" of the new kitten being isolated for a month, especially if it was your bedroom or somewhere he "owns".  Like he thinks the kitten is getting special treatment.

When all four cats are together, does he bully you for attention?  If he's not aggressive, hopefully the hissing will die down and he may eventually grow to like his new buddy.  It's sounds like you are doing everything right, like feeding and playtime together so he knows the kitten isn't a threat.  Your 3 adult cats just might need more time, but I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great video on cat to cat intros.  Even though you said you did it slowly, a month is not nearly enough time for 4 cats to get to know each other.  They each have their own temperment and tolerance.  It may take many months for them to get along.  I would suggest stepping back and trying some of the techniques in this video.

Also what happened to the feral mom cat?  Were you able to trap her so that you can be spayed and not have any more kittens?