Making The Hardest Decision, Please Advise..

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5AD8B8F7-7AEC-4BA5-AB4C-6B35467B29B6.jpeg
As you may know, my 14 year old Bengal has advance kidney problems for quite sometime now. He was 14 lbs. now at 8lbs. feeling all his bones, and his hind legs are very very weak, couldn’t even stand up. He stop eating now, no matter what food I try to feed, even his favorite tuna. He stays on his bed all day, and just looking very sick with head down. Also, his fur starts to come off, leaving large area of bald spot. I’m in constant communication with his Vet, she said it’s what kidney does, and just make him comfortable, and feed what he wants, but that doesn’t work now. I know he’s not going to recover given his current illness. I’m planning to talk to the Vet tomorrow, and discuss that I don’t want to prolong his suffering. He struggles to go the pan because of his legs, and stumbles and couldn’t get up. Please tell me if I decide to let him cross the bridge, that I’m doing the right thing. I’ve lost his brother 14 years ago ( was still a kitten) to FIP, so the Vet says. Here’s my Baby, who stays like this, and not eating.
It’s Heartbreaking. I had his brother cremated in the box with poem. It will be the same with this one. They will join me when it’s my time..

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, from the picture and what you've described if I was in your place I would. It sounds like he has more bad days then good which I usually use as my measure of when it is time to let go. It is, of course, a very personal and difficult choice to make. No one can tell you what to do, only what they would do.

I encourage you to check out this post, Thoughts For Grieving Cat Lovers when you are ready. Love and hugs in this difficult time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, from the picture and what you've described if I was in your place I would. It sounds like he has more bad days then good which I usually use as my measure of when it is time to let go. It is, of course, a very personal and difficult choice to make. No one can tell you what to do, only what they would do.

I encourage you to check out this post, Thoughts For Grieving Cat Lovers when you are ready. Love and hugs in this difficult time.
I would like to believe this is not happening, but he’s daily decline says otherwise. I told my wife to take him there when it’s time, I would not be able to control me emotions. I come here to pour my sorrow, as we all understand what we go through.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wish any of us had the right answer for you. We don't... I lost my first cat, Tawny at 15 to FIP. In the end he was eating nothing but a little bit of cheese that we would feed him by hand. I lost my second cat, Gracie at 12 to cancer.

Gracie died in my home, unfortunately while I was gone. She also had pretty much stopped eating and did very little moving around. We made the decision with Tawny to let him go, probably a little later than we should. But, we had to go through what we had to go through to get to that point. You need to be able to go through that as well, for your own sake. I truly think Tawny knew what we were going through and that is why he would eat cheese for us.

Until you get there, can you try to hand feed him some little bit of anything - even baby food meats? And, hand feed him water too. It doesn't look like where he is 'camped out' is big enough but if it is, place a small litter pan there for him as well.

I am so, so sorry...

Last edited:

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to believe this is not happening, but he’s daily decline says otherwise. I told my wife to take him there when it’s time, I would not be able to control me emotions. I come here to pour my sorrow, as we all understand what we go through.
Hi. I wish any of us had the right answer for you. We don't... I lost my first cat, Tawny at 15 to FIP. In the end he was eating nothing but a little bit of cheese that we would feed him by hand. I lost my second cat, Gracie at 12 to cancer.

Gracie died in my home, unfortunately while I was gone. She also had pretty much stopped eating and did very little moving around. We made the decision with Tawny to let him go, probably a little later than we should. But, we had to go through what we had to go through to get to that point. You need to be able to go through that as well, for your own sake. I truly think Tawny knew we were going and that is why he would eat cheese for us.

Until you get there, can you try to hand feed him some little bit of anything - even baby food meats? And, hand feed him water too. It doesn't look like where he is 'camped out' is big enough but if it is, place a small litter pan there for him as well.

I am so, so sorry...
I tried to hand feed him, but he doesn’t even lick it anymore. I check him every 1-2 hours trying to get him eat, but nothing. I take him to the pan, and he pees, and I take him back to his place.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can ask your vet about in home options. My vet offered to come to our home since we live just down the street from his office for Chance. My current vet is further away but I know there is a mobile clinic that does in home services. It really is worth the cost to not have that final vet trip.

I know how hard the emotional impact is of putting down a pet is. I wish there was a way to make it easier but there just isn't. :grouphug2:

I have gotten a tattoo, made a scrap book and still have the collar from Chance who passed 11+ years ago. I still love and miss him. Link and Rocket are my little loves but they aren't Chance and never will be. Cherish the time you have left, remember that he will never truly be gone from your heart.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in your shoes just 2 months ago. My husband and I made the decision to let our Toby go. Like your kitty, he was too weak to get around, and stopped eating and drinking. Our vet told us that when he stopped eating and could not use the litter on his own, that we should.....We trust our vet and I know she was right. As hard as it was, we did it and don't regret our decision, because we know it was the right one.
I'm so sorry you are going thru this. It's beyond hard, but it is the most compassionate thing you can do for your loved one. I sincerely wish you and your family peace of mind during this, you will make the right decision at the right time. And all the love you have for your kitty, and the love he has for you, will always be there.

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you're going through this. I made the decision myself 4 months ago...the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

In fact, I'm still in a phase where I catch myself saying...16 weeks ago, Admiral was curled up on my bed, as I got ready for work...that sort of thing. It's been difficult to get past.

I was with him at the end, and I held him until his final breath. So, so difficult, but I will do it all over again for my other sweet boy when that time comes.

Something that has helped me immensely was writing a letter to him. I put down all the things I loved about him - his personality, his physical traits, various memories, etc, and I printed it out to keep in a memento box, along with his paw print and a picture. I also have a running open note that I update when I feel moved to do so.

Only you and your wife can make that decision, and my heart goes out to you.

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Read my post old cat three lives. Immediately mouth syringe him electrolytes, gator aid, etc.. The sugar water could bring him back as it did mine that was comatose. My cat laid for several days and thought it was over. Every situation is different but wouldn't hurt Some reason even in back in the old days with humans sugar can do wonders. I am sorry and best of luck with your decision.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the Simpathy for my Baby. He’s schedule today for his procedure, and yes, it’s just Heartbreaking. My wife will be taking him, as will not be able to control my emotions. I’m tearing up as I write this post, just knowing my baby doesn’t realize what’s happening..again, thank you very much.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the second one. His brother was put to sleep 14 years ago at 6 months old, FIP the Vet says. I have him cremated with poem, same with this one, difficult times.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. If do choose to post his name, pics and/or anything else in the Crossing The Bridge section, please feel free to include his brother as well.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read this news. We'll lock this thread now out of respect for your loss.

The thread in the Crossing the Bridge forum is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.