Making Progress With Rad Cat

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all who gave me the confidence in the Rad Cat brand - primarily for the texture being highly appealing to a number of other members' cats.  While we are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area I finally found a supplier/distributor for Rad Cat that I hope to make good use of in the future.  So after their annual check up, we popped down the street to Metro Pet Services in Southlake, TX to pick up our first trial container.

I started adding the Rad Cat chicken on a plate between the boys regular wet meals and then slowly started to mix it into the wet meals.  We are now at about 60/40 in favor of the Rad Cat.

Our oldest boy would barely let me get the container open before he was trying to get his head in to taste it so he's been much faster adapting.  I still wanted to go slow in hopes of no upset tummies during the change.

Our youngest didn't really seem to recognize it as food, but I still attribute major differences between them due to the older boy being a stray, hunting for food with other cats versus Monty being a tiny drop off at a vet's office to only knowing shelter/shelter food ie, kibble.

I still struggle with his incessant howling, along with bowl flipping mind you, over wanting kibble but I have high hopes that once he further adapts to the raw he will be full from it & won't be so interested in the kibble.  I think with him it's a mental satisfaction as I will only give him 5-6 individual pieces that he gobbles up & goes about his merry way.  And I do use a higher end brand - the NV Instinct chicken, but I'm trying.  Trying to get him to let go of the regular kibble fixation totally.

Our older boy on the other hand has always liked the Instinct Freeze Dried Raw Chicken as a treat.  I hope Monty will at least come to understand "that" is his only kibble fix option too.

I also plan, once we get settled into Louisiana for the winter to try a Hare Today order with the Alnutrin supplement added since it looks to be more affordable in the long run than the Rad Cat.

Baby steps

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Bluebird Gal -- it sounds like your boys are doing well with the rad cat so far.

i wanted to mention fortiflora, to use as an enticer. it's a probiotic, but can be used just to entice cats to eat wet/raw food. it's the animal digest in the fortiflora that cats like, and animal digest is what's spayed over the kibble that makes cats like it so much. used to entice cats, the fortiflora powder is just sprinkled a little bit over the wet/raw food. it might be something to keep in mind, to try if you feel it might help your monty with getting used to raw food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

@Bluebird Gal -- it sounds like your boys are doing well with the rad cat so far.

i wanted to mention fortiflora, to use as an enticer. it's a probiotic, but can be used just to entice cats to eat wet/raw food. it's the animal digest in the fortiflora that cats like, and animal digest is what's spayed over the kibble that makes cats like it so much. used to entice cats, the fortiflora powder is just sprinkled a little bit over the wet/raw food. it might be something to keep in mind, to try if you feel it might help your monty with getting used to raw food.
Sorry for such a slow reply!  We've been traveling and getting set up at our new home for the winter in Louisiana.  I will keep your suggestions on the fortiflora in mind.  I will probably go ahead and order it because I really need to get about 2lbs off little Monty per our vet.  She said not to panic - he weighed in at 15.3, and she said he would be svelt (based on his frame) at 13.5  
   He's just a big cat overall.

Today was the first day that our little guy Monty just dove right into his Rad Cat without me mixing it with one of the other grain free foods we feed. 

The Big Guy has been on board since Day 1.   At least I feel more confident about spending the $$$$ to continue trying with Rad Cat and even the Hare Today.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry for such a slow reply!  We've been traveling and getting set up at our new home for the winter in Louisiana.  I will keep your suggestions on the fortiflora in mind.  I will probably go ahead and order it because I really need to get about 2lbs off little Monty per our vet.  She said not to panic - he weighed in at 15.3, and she said he would be svelt (based on his frame) at 13.5  
   He's just a big cat overall.

Today was the first day that our little guy Monty just dove right into his Rad Cat without me mixing it with one of the other grain free foods we feed. 

The Big Guy has been on board since Day 1.   At least I feel more confident about spending the $$$$ to continue trying with Rad Cat and even the Hare Today.
YAY! for monty diving into his rad cat meal!