Making Cat Toys

Ringwillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little while ago my sister and I decided to start making toys for our cats. Our one cat, Alastor, really likes butterflies, so we decided that we would hunt some supplies down from some of the local craft stores and try to find as many non toxic elements as we could. We were able to find some really good stuff, however I am flummoxed on what kind of glue to use for the cat toys. I realize that my cats tend to shred them pretty easily after a short while and if anybody else knows the problem with trying to fix cat toys for your cats, it's that you have to make sure they don't follow you to the room and try to take the toy away from you as you're trying to fix it. Which I have had to deal with. Multiple times. However that being said I'm wondering if I should stick to a non toxic glue for glue guns or if I should buy this stuff I found at Michaels online. It's called testors nontoxic cement for plastic models. It looks good and I was wondering what anyone else's experience has been in creating toys, particularly when dealing with glue. I l know to stay away from gorilla glue, but what else could work that isn't a safety hazard?

Attachments

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Late to the party here, but for what it's worth - I've made a fair number of cat toys over the years. I've done a lot of other crafting too. Stitching everything in place really is your best option, even though it's more work. Depending on what materials you're using, the other safest method is needle felting. The downside is that needle felted toys really don't last as long (at least, they don't if you have a wool fiend like one of my boys ;) ).

If you insist on using glue, I'd go with the non toxic glue gun, or good old PVA glue. I'd stay away from anything with 'cement' in the title...even if listed as non toxic. I just don't trust that it would be safe for kitties, especially if ingested accidentally later on.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed Pet Fusion and asked what glue they use since my lounger was falling apart. They replied that they searched for the glue they use and could not find it online. They did not think I should use anything else so I got a replacement!