Making an indoor only cat no longer only indoor

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe just make a dog kennel-type outdoor enclosure for him (with wire over the top), and pop him in that when you go to work. If he seems to be acclimating well, you could perhaps transition him to free run (if he's neutered; intact cats should never be allowed to roam), but if he never really gets the hang of it at least he has his kennel so he doesn't wreck the house.

Is he already neutered? if not, could be the reason for the destruction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have toys plus two cat trees and one little scratching post with a toy attached. I'm constantly getting new things because I have ferrets as well.

I have tried several different locks and things to keep him out but he's figured them all out... I'm going to try some inside child locks, but I can't get into those either lol

For the TV- I'm planning on moving my bedroom around, so hopefully he won't be able to get on top of the dresser that the TV is on anymore. What he's doing is climbing the ferret cage to the top and then jumping onto the dresser, but since there is no room on the dresser he knocks over the TV and the speakers.

I can't close off the bathroom because that's where his litterbox is.

The kitchen is in the middle of the house (I'm in an old mobile home) so I can't really keep him out of there either.

I'm curious if a Double Critter Nation is big enough for a cat cage to put him in while I'm not home? I'm planning on feeding off all of my rats and no longer keeping rats as pets (my allergies -not really sure if its a legit allergy, but that's what I'll call it- to them is getting too much to handle), so I'll have a spare DCN. He enjoys exploring in my ferrets' DCN whenever he gets the chance.

He's been doing a bit of this since he was around 4 months old, but only recently has it gotten really bad.

-I forgot to mention he's been knocking over the trash can and going through the trash too.

I'm not trying to criticize others. I'm not against keeping cats indoors, nor am I against keeping them indoor/outdoor or just outdoor.

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Harness training is the best idea... and it should be a longer transition.  He will have to learn about the out of doors and how to conduct himself.  Get him used to the harness indoors first.  When he is comfortable, Attach his tether and leave the door open, and see what he does.  I have found that the cheep little nylon 20ft tether is the best for a cat.  it is light enough that it doesn't bother them. 

I always make supper time the time when our little guy is in for the evening.  This is when he is certain to come back.  He always crys to go out after his meal... some nights more than others, but is usually beat enough to curl up and go to bed with our kids without much fuss.

Be careful about choosing a harness well. I've found the one that goes around the neck and tummy only attached at the shoulder blades is the most 'Houdini proof'.

Good luck!

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not trying to criticize others. I'm not against keeping cats indoors, nor am I against keeping them indoor/outdoor or just outdoor.
Sorry, I must have misread the tone of your post in that sense! I'm also glad I'm not the only full grown adult who can be outsmarted by childproof latching, lol.

I had someone else recommend the toy "The Cat's Meow" when I asked about ways to exercise my cat. It's an automated toy that runs on batteries and looks like a small animal scurrying around under a sheet - I wonder if that might be worth looking into to tucker him out a bit more? Or is there a way you can move or cover the ferret cage to make it less climbable? I realize none of these things really accomplishes what you're after in the end goal, but I don't have anything to offer in knowledge of introducing a cat to the outdoors so the best I can do is brainstorm what you could do with the indoor situation in the interim.

Double Critter Nations are pretty big, but it depends on how big Soren is too. I could see a kitten being able to run up and down there without feeling cramped, but if he's on the bigger side, and since he's getting older, I think it would act better as a short-term crating situation than for an entire workday. I don't have a cage myself to do an actual eyeballing, but from the images I've seen they seem pretty spacious for littler animals. You could always try it for a day off when you're home and can see how he reacts to being in there. If he looks uncomfortable, then at least you'll know before you make him spend a whole day in there.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I looked at the double critter nation cage online and, to me, it does *not* look big enough to accommodate a cat. The actual cage size might be ok, but it doesn't appear that a grown cat can utilize the different ramps/levels (6-8 wk old kittens probably could.)

My concern with crating him (even in an x-large dog kennel) is that he would have even more pent-up energy when let out of the cage.

Is there a way to confine him to a bedroom with a cat tree, toys, etc so that he at least has room to run and play?

Another option if possible, might be to get him a playmate. A cat with a similar energy level that could help keep him entertained.

Last edited: