Making an indoor only cat no longer only indoor

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd like for Soren to become an indoor/outdoor cat, but I'm not sure how to do that. He's been indoor-only since he was 8 weeks old. When I got him at 8 weeks old, it took a lot to keep him from running out the door every time its opened.. He is now 8 months old, and is terrified and runs back in the house if I put him out on the porch...

Any advice for getting him to be okay with being outside?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any particular reason you want him to go outside?  He is ever so much safer as an inside cat.  If you want him to enjoy grass and sunshine, you might try harness training him.  I have a friend who walks her two cats every day and they love it, but they are never allowed to roam loose outside because of all the dangers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are little to no dangers outside where I live. The road I live on is not busy and I live 5 acres away from the road.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

There are little to no dangers outside where I live. The road I live on is not busy and I live 5 acres away from the road.
Cats can run 5 acres.

No, I'm not being snarky, but all it really takes is one unfortunate incident. One car. One mean kid with a sadistic personality. If your cat has never been outside, chances are his survival skills are not as up to par as a cat who is used to being outside.

Harness training is the safest way, and it helps both of you bond. I would love, love, to harness train my cat, because like you, I don't like seeing him cooped up, and I can't tell if he's happy or not, so I'd like HIM to make the choice. But only with a harness and always with me watching.

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im kinda wondering why in the world would you want to do that?Cars are not the only danger out there.Its been known that a cat that goes outside only has a 3 to 4 year life span.I can tell you from my experience alone I've never had a cat that lasted more than that if it was an inside outside cat.What other dangers you may ask....?
Well,poisonous plants,people who don't like cats have been known to poison them,kitties are curious and often find themselves in places they can't get free from.Out in the country people set traps on their land that don't discriminate,Dogs,feral dog packs,pit bulls,Dogs,did I say dogs?fleas and the diseases and vet bills they cause,ticks an the diseases and vet bills they cause.Although rare,:rbheart:raccoons and other wildlife that may transfer a disease through attacking your kitty etc etc .Do I sound paranoid? Probably but all my cats ( indoor only)pass from old age not having their life ended horribly while I hold them.Some outside cats never make it home so we have no idea what got them.Listen to your fluffy one,he knows No Good comes from the outside.He trying to tell you.Please reconsider....Not only is it safer (A lot safer) but I guarantee if he survives long enough you will have a lot more vet bills.I hope you will research this decision more before you attempt this.Good luck to you and love to your kitties.:rbheart::rbheart::vibes:

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My outdoor cats are a 7 year old and a 9 year old and still young.

I'm not asking about dangers. Some are a bit ridiculous, and aren't even relevant for where I live.

Sorry, but my question wasn't answered at all.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, but my question wasn't answered at all.
As @Red Top Rescue  said, harness training. Get him used to harness training, then put him outside. Some cats take immediately to the outside, even if they are scared of the door at first. Like any kind of training, if he wants to be back inside, take him back inside. Repeat the process gradually, giving him treats and praise when he's outside, so that he associate the harness and outside as enjoyable.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how about a fenced-in little cat sanctuary? Something where he would be safe and feel safe (most important)... you'd also protect countless birds, lizards and dragonflies (unless they enter, of course) 

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby is my first indoor only cat, and as she was a stray and was taken to the shelter after someone rescued her from the street, she was at one time an outdoor cat.  So far (6 months) she has shown no interest in going outside, so I'm not encouraging her.

We had 3 family cats when I was growing up and they were all indoor / outdoor cats.   One lived till 16 or 17, though he used to come home showing signs of being in fights quite often, even though he'd been neutered, and those bites often became abscessed.  

One my Dad found in the gutter after being hit by a car.  He was less than a year old and was such a perfect cat, except for his need to go outside. 
  It was horrible losing him that way and it was years before we got another cat.  

The third one lived till nearly 20, but used most of her 9 lives.  She too had the need to go out, and spent many entire nights outside.   One morning she didn't come home and we eventually found her hiding under the deck all scraped up.  The vet thought it was road burn and that she'd either been hit by a car or kicked across the street by someone.   It took a while but she recovered from that ordeal.   Another time she didn't come home for a few days and we think she got locked in someone's shed or garage.

So that's the problem with letting cats out.   Once they get a taste of it, they pester you to let them out whenever they want.  And sometimes that means calling them at midnight and them not coming home, meaning they are outside all night.  Or them waking you at 5 am because they want to go out.

That said, if you want him to go out and run freely on his own, simply take him out in your backyard and see what he does.  I doubt he will run far the first time, but will mostly be curious sniffing the grass.  A harness would guarantee he won't get away.   Cats are smart, and he won't forget where home is, or his dinner plate.   But chances are once he gets a taste of outside you will see less of him, especially when the weather is good.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like Soren is telling you he doesn't want to go outside. Is there a reason why you want to force it upon him? Some cats truly have no desire to go outside, or, like your Soren, are afraid to go outside.

The only thing you can do is try to get him to associate the outside as good. Cats that are truly scared of being outside are typically the ones that get spooked off and get lost.

Is your porch screened in? That would be my first step. Let him know he is safe there.

It is quite likely that he senses a danger or a threat with outside.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @catpack. Why do you want your cat to go out when he clearly wants to stay in? If you feel we aren't answering your question it's because some of us don't fully feel that we understand your question and that we need more info before we reply.

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no cat expert, but it is usually the opposite. Cats love to go outside and explore. They are curious.

You should be grateful that your cat is saving you the worry that it might sneak out and never return, or return injured, or sick.

Taking him out to get some fresh air is a good idea, but with your eyes on him closely.

But still take into consideration that cats can go crazy when outside, he might just run far and fast for your to chase him and bring him back. Harness is a good idea, I want to try this one day, but nothing fancy for my cat to see outside (not garden, no nothing).

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - it's one thing to let him go out if he wants and you live in a safe area to do so, but if he prefers to stay in, just let him.

One of my friends had indoor cats her entire life, and she got them all as exciting, adventurous kittens who wanted to get into and break out of everything. She tried to take her two outside just for some fresh air as they got older, but they would get VERY stressed out, claw out of her arms (and they were unfortunately front-declawed), and huddle against the door they just came out of shaking and trembling. They were by far THE most unhappy cats I'd ever seen outside. I know someone else who had three cats they let outside on harness whenever it was nice enough out, within a fenced yard and being able to view them out the back window, and the two males they had since kittenhood loved it. Their other female, who initially LOVED being outside and would hunt her catnip toys and carry them around out there, reacted the exact same way - with extreme anxiety when she was older.

It'll vary with each cat. There's no point in forcing him if it makes him unhappy now. There are plenty of other ways to ensure he can be exercised and stimulated indoors if he decides he's no longer interested in going outside. Don't forget - kittens are kittens and will push their limits wherever and whenever he can. He probably did so when he was young, but as he's grown and become familiar with your home and your parameters, there's no need to go anywhere else. Be happy he's happy with you!

Last edited:

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay- I read through every post, since I couldn't really before due to being on a phone.
Now I'll try to clarify..

---

Soren has a lot of pent up energy. He's a fairly normal cat as long as I'm nearby. Whenever we leave for work (and sometimes at night, but not very often at night since he usually is sleeping on me), he goes berserk. No matter how we lock the cabinet doors, he always figures out how to open them. Then he shreds all toilet paper and paper towel rolls, rips open food packages and scatters our food all over the floors. He's also been knocking our TV over.

My husband wants to just find him another home, but Soren is so attached to me. Even if I was okay with that, he doesn't care for other people.

He won't be outdoors at night- which is the only time there are ever any dangers where I live. Coyotes and bobcats would be Soren's only concern and they are only active at certain times. There are no dogs running loose besides my dogs and my parents' dogs. The dogs across the street are always chained on, but cats don't go over there anyway because of the creek. Parasites are easily prevented. He has had his vaccines, so he is protected from those diseases for 10ish years. He is not declawed, and he is a huge cat for 8 months.

He is either going outside- or he will have to be put in a dog crate when we can't watch him.

---

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with the fact that cats are "indoor only" pets. Sure, some cat breeds such as ragdolls cannot live outside for their safety, but some other breeds are better off outside at least part of the time. Soren is one of those breeds. He is Maine Coon, bobcat, and Manx. Cats can live outdoors in some areas, and even so, would you do that with your human children? Keep them indoors at all times because they might fall down outside?

Living indoors does not guarantee that the cat will only die from old age. Especially not with the food and care that some people provide.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'd like for Soren to become an indoor/outdoor cat, but I'm not sure how to do that. He's been indoor-only since he was 8 weeks old. When I got him at 8 weeks old, it took a lot to keep him from running out the door every time its opened.. He is now 8 months old, and is terrified and runs back in the house if I put him out on the porch...

Any advice for getting him to be okay with being outside?
OK, let's start over at your original post, with the information you just added in your last post, because now I understand WHY you want to make him an inside/outside cat.  You asked for advice for getting him to be okay with being outside, and again I would suggest harness training him.  Since he is so attached to you, then you will need to accompany him as he explores the outdoors for awhile, first on a leash (in case something panics him and he bolts and runs, so you can reel him in and comfort him) and while he expands his territory to include the outdoors around your home.  There is an article about leash and harness training in the Cat Care/Articles section. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/harness-and-leash-training-for-cats

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can live outdoors in some areas, and even so, would you do that with your human children? Keep them indoors at all times because they might fall down outside?

No, but you wouldn't let them run around outside unsupervised. Sure, if you live on a ranch miles away from the nearest civilization, you probably don't need to supervise them, as long as they're old enough to know the dangers. And that's what we're suggesting -- harness training so he can enjoy the outside, release his playful energy and be safe.

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to have ruffled feathers on this website but I will stick to my advice in not letting cats roam free.The fact that you state you have 7 and up years that your other cats have survived outside is an exception to the rule.My experience has been the opposite.My intention of taking the time to respond was to hopefully help you to avoid serious heartbreak and possibly continue being a good neighbor.I meant no ill will towards you.A lot of people on this site feel as I about letting cats roam free ,so this may be why your question wasn't answered to your satisfaction. I won't give advice on how to turn an indoor cat to an outdoor cat because I would be acting irresponsible giving advice on a matter that I don't condone.I have read a few good suggestions from other members that might work for you on this thread.Again it wasn't my intention to have you perturbed and hope you will accept my apology.Good luck to you and your little kitty.:chescat:

Last edited:

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[quote name="Awaiting Abyss" url="/t/277202/making-an-indoor-only-cat-no-longer-only-indoor/0_60#post_3549961" He is now 8 months old, and is terrified and runs back in the house if I put him out on the porch...
[/quote]

Why would you want to put him out if he's scared of going outside now?

Edit: I just read your new post. Still, there are ways to get out that pent up energy rather than pushing him outside.

Growing up, my family believed in only outside inside cats. They went outside during the day and came in at night. All of them (about ten cats, at different times) died outside due to some danger (poison, car, dog, got lost and starved, poison, car, car, ran off, got lost, car) and we live in a quiet suburb neighborhood with big yards far from the main road. I finally convinced them to keep the cats indoor. They feel really guilty because they thought it was in cats nature to be outside...

Last edited:

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think taking a defensive stance as OP's latest post seems to do makes people jump at the chance to say "then just keep him indoors!" If he's attached to you, find a few minutes a day to go outside with him (a harness is definitely a good idea for the reasons others mentioned, especially if he's very nervous about being outside now). I understand your husband must be very irritated with his behaviour indoors, but forcing him out when he's obviously scared isn't going to make his behaviour any better. If you want to let him outside, make it a gradual transition where you can be with him each step of the way, instead of kicking him out. If this is only a daytime thing, go outside with him in the mornings or during the day on weekends/days off. If you do it at night or after work, he may get the idea that night time is when he is supposed to go out.

Do you have a lot of interactive toys inside? If he hasn't had a new toy in a while, you could try bringing home small things to keep a good rotation in the toys he's used to. Then he'll always have something new to poke around at, and that may deter his destructiveness. Is there a way to shut the doors/lock him out of the kitchen, bathroom, and living room (or wherever the TV is)? Is there a way to hold the TV in place or against a wall to secure it? Have you tried baby/child safety locks? Embarrassingly enough, I didn't know how to unlatch a baby lock on a cabinet to toss something in the garbage at someone else's home because I never had to deal with baby locks before, haha. Anyway, you could store any food or bags that can be punctured, opened, or damaged within the cabinets and place a baby lock on them. They're pretty inexpensive, so buying a few to lock up your kitchen couldn't hurt!

I'm not trying to criticize your decision to let him go outdoors, and I hope that you don't criticize others who keep their cats indoors because they've decided to speak up in your thread. We all have different circumstances and different views on how we can make the best of our cats' lives, and it all boils down to the risks we're willing to take (or let them take). Our suggestions are based on his fear to go outside, and the fact that it's being pushed upon him rather than offered to him. If you're set on getting him outside part of the day, hopefully a few of these suggestions will be helpful to reduce the damage he does while you're in the process of introducing him to the outdoors.

edit; typo

Last edited:

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, but I do not agree with the fact that cats are "indoor only" pets. Sure, some cat breeds such as ragdolls cannot live outside for their safety, but some other breeds are better off outside at least part of the time. Soren is one of those breeds. He is Maine Coon, bobcat, and Manx. Cats can live outdoors in some areas, and even so, would you do that with your human children? Keep them indoors at all times because they might fall down outside?
You would let your children run outside unsupervised for a long amount of time? In this day and age, I wouldn't... so why with my cats? It's not that we think there are "indoor only" breeds, it's that we want the best for our cats safety and letting them wander outside unsupervised is not safe. Period.

I think what a lot of posters have said is a good idea if you're adamant on pushing this cat outside. Slowly introduce him with a harness.

Last edited: