Making a "crinkle sack"

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love to make stuff for my kitties, and I would like to make one of those crinkle sacks that I've seen in the pet supply catalogs, but I don't know what to put between the layers of fabric and faux fur to make that crinkly sound ... any ideas?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about mylar? Or bubble paper? You could just clean out a metal potato chip bag even. You'll probably need to use more than one thing to make it, since it'll have the other stuff wrapped around it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both, those are great suggestions. I think mylar might hold up to clawing better than cellophane ... I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks!

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought you'd put the cellophane between two layers of fabric, no?
We recently bought a Zanie's plush covered tunnel and whatever is making the noise is layered between the inner and outer coverings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The crinkly stuff will go between a layer of cotton fabric and some faux fur, hopefully sheepskin, but I think that with constant kneeding, pouncing and scratching, what ever materials I use are going to take a real beating. I was just thinking that mylar might be a little more tear resistant. I'm sure it will depend on what I'm able to find locally, I'll let you know how it works out. It might be a few weeks though, between work, school and moving into a new house, I'm not sure how soon I can fit this project in.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

I think the potato chip bag is better. YOu get to eat the chips and reuse the bag
I've been thinking about making a kitty crinkle sack; now I'm much better motivated to do it!!

andrew hudson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe use Velcro or something with an opening so that you can restuff the lining of the bag with new crackly stuff/cellophane or whatever, when it's been too hammered?

littlejaye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made this when Tinkerbell was just a baby so that I could play with her with my hand but I didnt want her so see my hand. It was really cheap to make. I got a dust mit and cut strips off of a old scarf and sawed them on the bottom end. Both my cats love this toy.  Now you could do the same  but put little sucker papers or plastic wrappers inside and saw it shut if you wanted to.

monkeymind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone end up making a crinkle sack or crinkle toys? Would love tips.

Cats loved mylar balls but when 1 ended up in water bowl the amount of dye concerned us so we got rid of them.