Major Changes to Cat's Environment

Sherlock1506

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently moved my son, Dylan, to college with his cat, Dexter (about 1.5 years old). He moved into an apartment and has a roommate, although interaction between them is minimal due to their schedules.

Here, at home, Dexter had the company of two other cats, Lupin (2 yrs) and Mia (3 yrs).

Dylan has told me that he doesn't feel that Dexter is acting right. Although Dylan plays with Dexter as much as a busy student can, Dylan thinks that Dexter is sleeping more than he should, doesn't run around as much as he used to, and doesn't play with his toys as much as he did at home.

Dylan is worried that Dexter might be depressed or seriously bored. His words "All he does is eat and sleep". Dexter found a spot on a closet shelf and spends a lot of his time there.

Dylan is also worried that Dexter is gaining weight but I don't think that's very likely since we only moved Dylan and Dexter 6 days ago.

What advise do you have? What can I tell Dylan to help them through this? Obviously, this is a very stressful time for Dylan and Dexter so I want to make things easier for both of them.
Thanks,

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing remotely unusual about a cat seeming to only eat and sleep, but 1.5 yrs is a bit young for it. Also, in a much smaller space, Dexters activity would be all the more obvious. So maybe he has indeed crossed the line towards depression, or maybe he is ill if its only been a little bit. My money would be on mostly bored with perhaps some mild depression.

How long has it been?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, how long has it been? If its only been a week or two, maybe he will perk up and start causing mischief as he settle in.

If its been longer, I'm not really sure. Adding another cat might help, but in such a small space that could be tough. We'll have to wait for some suggestions from others.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What your son needs to do for that cat is what he obviously already doesn't have time for, after only a week, and his schedule is only going to get busier and probably less predictable. He needs to play with him, take him for walks if it's safe to do so, buy a mesh cat tent and spend time with Dexter outside, don't let the roommate or friends feed him treats, and maintain/oversee his feeding schedule, timewise and quantity, carefully.

Play cat music for him.

Frankly my advice would be to bring the cat back home. Your son will be back for holidays etc, and in four years will be moving to his own place or back with you. There's no need to put the cat through this upheaval and stress.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
6 days is a very short time to be in a new place with new people and new sounds. Probably the best thing for your son to do is relax around Dexter. Offer play but don't force it. Once Dexter sees Dylan feels safe so will he. For a cat a move is more like moving to another planet than just another town.

Dylan can try leaving some puzzle toys out also.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oye, I just noticed you guys pointing out the 6 days. Missing one little thing chances so much... OP hasn't come back, so I guess the cat probably bounced back to normal and is making the son wish he was still torpid and not tearing up the small apartment. Wife and I had two kittens in a small apartment in law school and basically kept them in one room full time given the roommate. Why did we think two kittens in one room was a good idea? I have no idea. They found so many crazy projects like removing my socks and underwear from the drawer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sherlock1506

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oye, I just noticed you guys pointing out the 6 days. Missing one little thing chances so much... OP hasn't come back, so I guess the cat probably bounced back to normal and is making the son wish he was still torpid and not tearing up the small apartment. Wife and I had two kittens in a small apartment in law school and basically kept them in one room full time given the roommate. Why did we think two kittens in one room was a good idea? I have no idea. They found so many crazy projects like removing my socks and underwear from the drawer.
Hi all, I'm still here. I was just waiting to reply until my son reported back. I want to thank you all for the feedback. I'll post again as soon as I here from Dylan.

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope Dexter already liked his new place.Cats need time to accept new places, some need 1 week while others might need ever few weeks. If Dexter does not like his new place, I would consider moving back or seeing a vet to discuss how to help him in a new environment.