Maine Coons kittens whiskers in strange directions?!

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi fellow cat lovers!!

Loving this site!

I'm normally all over sharing cat photos but I don't actually have any photos for this, yet!! I'll try to get some to illustrate my point!! [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128578[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

We have 3 cats, 2 are Maine Coon kittens. Our youngest, Mojo, is a beautiful fluffy white and tabby mix, with mostly white whiskers!

I've not read loads about whiskers, I thought they grew to the width of the cat and then as they are sensitive it helps cats judge which places are safe and too narrow for them to go into.

I read something the other day that said they did a whole lot more than that; will do more research.

Anyway. Normally all our cats whiskers go straight out like you'd expect.

Yet just in the last few days we've noticed his whiskers pointing down under his chin?! Not directly down but sort of like a walrus?! Lol yes really!!

Can cats move their whiskers like that?! They stay like that for at least an hour not that ive timed it! *a while*

I'll try to take some photos when I can [emoji]128578[/emoji]

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My younger cats whiskers do the same thing. I thought it was a bit odd so I did a little research, some said they will point down when they are happy or relaxed, someone else said "The cats mouth is probably slightly open, or jaw relaxed, the whiskers rest on the upper lip / face and need the support of the closed mouth." So maybe your cats mouth is slightly open and it's just not noticeable. Cats whiskers are pretty remarkable and can move every which way depending on their mood. Your kitty is beautiful by the way!