Maine Coon Talking

Leozdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying to get my new Coon kitten to talk. She is 17 1/2 weeks. Does anyone have any info on getting her to talk to me?

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a myth that all maine coons are chatty. I've had multiple maine coons growing up (living in new england, maine coon/maine coon mixes weren't uncommon) and I'd say it's about a 60/40 split between chatty and quiet types.

If you want to encourage vocalization, I would try using positive reinforcement. Whenever she meows naturally praise her and give her a favorite treat. You can start using a command like 'speak' once your kitty gets the idea that meowing gets a treat from you. You could also look into clicker training. I've taught one of my cats to sit and shake using this method.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just aren't talkative. There's nothing wrong with them. It's just their personality, just like how some people are chatterboxes while others are really quiet. Your kitten is still young so her personality may change as she gets older. Just let your kitten be herself :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leozdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a myth that all maine coons are chatty. I've had multiple maine coons growing up (living in new england, maine coon/maine coon mixes weren't uncommon) and I'd say it's about a 60/40 split between chatty and quiet types.

If you want to encourage vocalization, I would try using positive reinforcement. Whenever she meows naturally praise her and give her a favorite treat. You can start using a command like 'speak' once your kitty gets the idea that meowing gets a treat from you. You could also look into clicker training. I've taught one of my cats to sit and shake using this method.
Thanks, I'll give that a try

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leozdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats just aren't talkative. There's nothing wrong with them. It's just their personality, just like how some people are chatterboxes while others are really quiet. Your kitten is still young so her personality may change as she gets older. Just let your kitten be herself :)
Thank you

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just talked to my cats a lot. Eventually, they both ended up talking back. Probably figured that they may as well respond to the crazy cat lady so she stops talking so much. :p