Maine Coon Mix???

amtedesco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I recently adopted both cats, and they are brothers (from the same litter). I was told they might be Maine Coon Mix. I am wondering if they are part Maine Coon, and what they are most likely mixed with? They are quite large, so I am thinking that they might be. Thank you! I am excited to be able to keep them together, and they are so sweet!
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m not really seeing Maine Coon- they’d have a more square face and more muscular body. Your beautiful boys have a modified wedge-shaped head and long, lean bodies and legs. Maybe Turkish Angora would be a good comparison. Technically if you don’t have papers or a DNA test, you’d have to call them Domestic Longhairs.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to talk norwegian with them. Im pretty sure they will answer you.

By the looks they could even be fairly purebred Norwegian Forest cats, of decent quality at that.

these straingh, longish and triangularish heads. Norses are quite often bicolor too...

Observe, one of them is a spotted tabby. Not that common among them, but adds to the splendors. :)

Ps. Yeah and a Turkish angora bet is better than MCO, I do agree. Even if MY bet will be on norsemen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amtedesco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That you all for your response. When reading up on breeds I thought they could be either, but I'm not an expert so that's why I asked. In case these photos help confirm your thoughts, I wanted to share them. Some are more close up, and I got their kitten photos from the shelter!
46724456_500x375.jpg
46724468_500x353.jpg
19993.jpeg
19995.jpeg
20005.jpeg
20171205_072315.jpg

amtedesco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not really seeing Maine Coon- they’d have a more square face and more muscular body. Your beautiful boys have a modified wedge-shaped head and long, lean bodies and legs. Maybe Turkish Angora would be a good comparison. Technically if you don’t have papers or a DNA test, you’d have to call them Domestic Longhairs.
I see what you mean by muscular, they have a softer build. Also their fur is soooo soft, like petting a soft little bunny!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm calling abyeb abyeb and StefanZ StefanZ back to this. I've literally been staring at these pics trying to figure out what I see. Some things about breeds I'm good at, some, not so much so I want 2nd opinions. Since you posted the new pics I'm think differently. Referring to the top pic in the cat tree. The bottom cat I think you would call a high white blue. He looks as abyeb said like a Turkish Angora and I can see stefanz point of NFC due to the triangular shaped head. It's the top cat that has me baffled. First the color I would call high white tortie calico? That's as much a question as a conclusion. I'm hoping for verification or correction on that. The pic in the window makes me almost think MC but, I'm thinking more Siberian. His face is not as triangular! In both cats, and this may sound funny but, in the 2 window pics of both of them the back humps up just below the shoulders and then drops of sharply and is almost straight toward the bottom. That is just how Manny's does and it just looked funny to me at first. If Manny is mostly Siberian then it stands to reason they have Siberian in them. I posted these pics of Manny to compare but the angles aren't that great.

amtedesco amtedesco How old are these cats? They look young like 6 to 8 months. The pic of them on the bed is adorable with the paw in the face! What are their names? And, welcome to TCS by the way!

P.S. Could these be a Turkish Angora/Siberian mix?

IMG_4634.JPG IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4785.JPG IMG_4660.JPG

amtedesco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm calling abyeb abyeb and StefanZ StefanZ back to this. I've literally been staring at these pics trying to figure out what I see. Some things about breeds I'm good at, some, not so much so I want 2nd opinions. Since you posted the new pics I'm think differently. Referring to the top pic in the cat tree. The bottom cat I think you would call a high white blue. He looks as abyeb said like a Turkish Angora and I can see stefanz point of NFC due to the triangular shaped head. It's the top cat that has me baffled. First the color I would call high white tortie calico? That's as much a question as a conclusion. I'm hoping for verification or correction on that. The pic in the window makes me almost think MC but, I'm thinking more Siberian. His face is not as triangular! In both cats, and this may sound funny but, in the 2 window pics of both of them the back humps up just below the shoulders and then drops of sharply and is almost straight toward the bottom. That is just how Manny's does and it just looked funny to me at first. If Manny is mostly Siberian then it stands to reason they have Siberian in them. I posted these pics of Manny to compare but the angles aren't that great.

amtedesco amtedesco How old are these cats? They look young like 6 to 8 months. The pic of them on the bed is adorable with the paw in the face! What are their names? And, welcome to TCS by the way!

P.S. Could these be a Turkish Angora/Siberian mix?

View attachment 209174 View attachment 209175 View attachment 209177 View attachment 209178 View attachment 209179
Thank you for taking the time to look at them with such detail! One of the biggest reasons I want to know their breed is to be aware of potential health issues in the future, the other is curiosity because they are so smart! I read about the Siberian bread temperament and it seems very similar to these personalities (like love high places, brings me toys when they want play time) not sure if other breeds are similar though. Also I found a picture that looks almost identical my cat you are stumped on, and it's a Siberian. I'll post it below. Their names are Dali (like Salvador Dali) and the grey and white is Figaro (from Pinnochio). They are now 18 months old, and they both weight 12 and 14lbs. The picture was from them being kittens. Thank you again!
Screenshot_20171208-213255.png

Attachments

kdm1984

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More about Maine Coons:

My parents have a Maine Coon mix named Max. He is very typical of the breed in behavior -- clownish, sometimes destructive (will attempt to take down Christmas trees and knock over golf bags etc), plays fetch relentlessly like a dog, howls at the door until my dad comes home from work, and so forth. Definitely a handful -- BIG personality that needs lots of attention, activity, and redirection from 'mischievous' behaviors. ;) This is what he looks like:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if you are concerned about possible health considerations in teh future just get the dna test done. :)

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
More about Maine Coons:

My parents have a Maine Coon mix named Max. He is very typical of the breed in behavior -- clownish, sometimes destructive (will attempt to take down Christmas trees and knock over golf bags etc), plays fetch relentlessly like a dog, howls at the door until my dad comes home from work, and so forth. Definitely a handful -- BIG personality that needs lots of attention, activity, and redirection from 'mischievous' behaviors. ;) This is what he looks like:

I actually think you might have a Siberian mix there. No way of telling for sure without a DNA test but his head shape and coloration remind me more of Siberian.