Maine coon / domestic long hair mix?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sweetie pie!

Its too early to see any look alikeness. Perhaps it will be easier when he is older.

He is surely domestic, but as you say, it could be nice to perhaps compare him to some established breed.

the tabby pattern seems to be classic tabby... Although pattern can be difficult to see on longhairs.

DLH, brown classic? tabby with white, in the tuxedo pattern. (some will call him for black tabby; its the color he carriers, so we both mean the same thing).

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just adopted this beautiful kitten yesterday and was googling breeds. I’m sure it’s not a pure anything was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thank you in advance!View attachment 419321View attachment 419322
Adorable baby😻 Hard to say yet for look a like but it could be. He looks like a dlh black mackerel tuxedo tabby, with white looks like there is some blue there too.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Adorable baby😻 Hard to say yet for look a like but it could be. He looks like a dlh black mackerel tuxedo tabby, with white looks like there is some blue there too.
Blue is the dilute of black. A cat will either have the dilute gene or not, both can't occur in the same cat. The gray looking stripes are simply the less dense black that creates the stripes.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue is the dilute of black. A cat will either have the dilute gene or not, both can't occur in the same cat. The gray looking stripes are simply the less dense black that creates the stripes.
Yes I am aware if that, but here it looks different to me than what normally happens with a lh like with my Zena who is a blk white tux but has gray areas due to the long hair and the two mixing.

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I am aware if that, but here it looks different to me than what normally happens with a lh like with my Zena who is a blk white tux but has gray areas due to the long hair and the two mixing.
Looks just like regular black tabby coloring to me. The agouti hairs make the non-stripes look "grey". It may be more cool toned or silver-ish than the most common "brown" tabby, but there's no blue there. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks just like regular black tabby coloring to me. The agouti hairs make the non-stripes look "grey". It may be more cool toned or silver-ish than the most common "brown" tabby, but there's no blue there. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.
It does not look like regular brown tabby coloring to me at all it looks more grey / silver however I agree that it’s probably because he’s a tabby, Xena is not a tabby.

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does not look like regular brown tabby coloring to me at all it looks more grey / silver however I agree that it’s probably because he’s a tabby, Xena is not a tabby.
Definitely just normal tabby. Some have ground colours that are just more "brown" and others more "grey". May have the silver gene that lightens the bands, which makes it lighter and less brown, but I'm not an expert and wouldn't know for sure.

PorkyChoppers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
quite possibly 1/2 Maincoon , 1/2 American long hair. Look at the tufts of hair on those ears! That’s a Maincoon characteristic. I don’t see a ‘mane’ but not all mixes have it.

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful black-based classic tabby with low white spotting domestic longhair!

I'm not seeing silver or dilute here, just gorgeous black striped tabby. Silver would bleach more of the yellow tones out, especially on the face; stripes are too dark for dilute. The stripes look too wide for mackerel to me, so I'm thinking classic, but that might just be the photo angle.

Might have some MC heritage, but I'm not seeing it in the face. Lynx tips on the ears can be from several breeds or even found in the general cat population, especially among longhairs. If the kitten turns out significantly larger than a normal kitten, it definitely increases the chances of MC heritage, otherwise I'd say just a wonderful domestic longhair!

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just adopted this beautiful kitten yesterday and was googling breeds. I’m sure it’s not a pure anything was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thank you in advance!View attachment 419321View attachment 419322
He looks to me like a Black Silver Classic Tabby with White Domestic LH. He may not have a whole lot of silver as his coat does look darker but time will tell. Also, silver is not a colour but rather a loss of pigmentation in the coat which is quite common in maine coon colours so he may have maine coon in him based on the lynx tips and larger frame however without a pedigree the kitten will be considered a domestic longhair.
Where was this boy adopted from? Have you seen the kittens mother and father?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
quite possibly 1/2 Maincoon , 1/2 American long hair. Look at the tufts of hair on those ears! That’s a Maincoon characteristic. I don’t see a ‘mane’ but not all mixes have it.
My domestic shorthair had little tufts like that. These tufts are nowhere what a Maine Coon mix would have which stand straight up and are in a little bunch.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
looks more siberian than mc to me. curious are you in oregon or another area that had russian migrants by ship? I'm in the seattle area and I've noticed a lot of moggies from the seattle area have norwegian type looks and a lot of the oregon moggies have very siberian characteristics and funnily enough both of those areas had corresponding immigration by boat about 100 years ago. i'd expect more natural maine coon types to be on the eastern seaboard.