Madonna Keeps Having Accidents.

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

So recently I had to take Madonna to the vet because she was having loose stool, and accidents all over my room. Found out she had hookworms, and so the vet dewormed her and we switched her food to a better quality food (Science Diet Digestion). Well she's doing a lot better, no more diarrhea, her stools are firm.. but she keeps pooping right in front of the litter box.

I read online that she was associating pain with the litterbox because she was raw from diarrhea, but it's been a while since she had diarrhea and I used some diaper rash salve on her a couple times while she was getting better. Luckily it's no longer all over my room, but... still right in front of the litter box.

Does anyone have any tips for getting your cat into the litterbox? Is there another issue maybe?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think you might be right that she associates the pain with going to the litterbox. To curb some of that anxiety, have you tried a Feliway diffuser? I'd also recommend calling the vet, just to give an update and see if there's anything they'd recommend.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

So recently I had to take Madonna to the vet because she was having loose stool, and accidents all over my room. Found out she had hookworms, and so the vet dewormed her and we switched her food to a better quality food (Science Diet Digestion). Well she's doing a lot better, no more diarrhea, her stools are firm.. but she keeps pooping right in front of the litter box.
I'm sorry but I'm a gay man of a certain age and whenever anyone says "Madonna" I can't help but think of, well, MADONNA!

I really hate to be a cliche but I've been to every one of her concerts and a few of them two and three times. I tell people that Madonna has so much of my money that I'm practically raising her adopted kids. There should be a Malawian child living in my house, eating my food and calling me Daddy right now.

A larger-than-life moment for me was being able to shake her hand in Toronto when she was promoting "WE."

Anyway, the idea that Madge would have hookworms, loose stools and poop outside her box is completely hysterical to me. After reading your post I keep giggling every two or three minutes.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat Sonny was treated for a UTI my vet suggested that I set up an extra new litter box in a new location just in case he had formed an association between the pain from the UTI and the litter box. He did use only this litter box for a few days before going back to the old litter box. You can try using a new 2nd litter box in a different location in the same room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you might be right that she associates the pain with going to the litterbox. To curb some of that anxiety, have you tried a Feliway diffuser? I'd also recommend calling the vet, just to give an update and see if there's anything they'd recommend.
I haven't! But I ran to the store last night and got one as well as a new litterbox. I'm gonna see if it helps.
Thanks for the advice! c:

I'm sorry but I'm a gay man of a certain age and whenever anyone says "Madonna" I can't help but think of, well, MADONNA!

I really hate to be a cliche but I've been to every one of her concerts and a few of them two and three times. I tell people that Madonna has so much of my money that I'm practically raising her adopted kids. There should be a Malawian child living in my house, eating my food and calling me Daddy right now.

A larger-than-life moment for me was being able to shake her hand in Toronto when she was promoting "WE."

Anyway, the idea that Madge would have hookworms, loose stools and poop outside her box is completely hysterical to me. After reading your post I keep giggling every two or three minutes.
I laughed SO HARD reading your post!

When my cat Sonny was treated for a UTI my vet suggested that I set up an extra new litter box in a new location just in case he had formed an association between the pain from the UTI and the litter box. He did use only this litter box for a few days before going back to the old litter box. You can try using a new 2nd litter box in a different location in the same room.
Awww. That's a good idea. I took your advice and got a new litterbox last night. I'm hoping it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey guys! getting the new litterbox did the trick. haven't had any accidents since!