Made A Deposit On A Kitten Who May Have Been Sick

LilyPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello — I am new to this forum and have what is probably a dumb question... A couple of days ago, we visited a breeder and my daughter fell in love with a kitten. I had some concerns because the kitten was sneezing a lot and had some eye discharge from one eye, but the breeder reassured me that it was just a cold. I made a deposit, and the breeder had me sign a sales contract indicating that I was agreeing to purchase the kitten and would pay the balance of the $1800 price when we pick up the cat (late next week).

I called our vet to make an appointment for when we bring the kitten home, and I mentioned the sneezing and eye discharge. The vet assistant checked with the vet (who was busy with a patient) and said that the vet cautioned against adopting a kitten in that condition, especially because we have a cat at home that could catch whatever the kitten has.

I feel really foolish for not being more careful and am unsure how to proceed. I had done a lot of research to find a reputable breeder and was determined not to make a snap decision, but I guess I got caught up in the moment. (The breeder does offer a health guarantee, but only to the extent of providing another kitten if this kitten doesn’t pass our first vet checkup.)

Am I completely overreacting to what may be just a cold? I’m willing to lose the deposit, but am I then on the hook for the purchases price even if I don’t take the kitten? I really appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thank you

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See if you can get your deposit back, can the breeder back up the claim that it is just a cold with paper work from a visit to a vet who confirmed the breeders suspicion? Has the kitten been vaccinated? Seen a vet at any point in it's life? Reupatal breeders will have this information and make point telling you medical history and have a paper trail of vet visits and vaccinations for EACH kitten being offered for sale. $1800.00 is a lot of money for a kitten with a cold in my humble opinion.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even in the best conditions, a kitten may get a cold. However, I'd expect the breeder to hold onto the kitten until he or she was fully recovered, so as not to pass anything on to resident cats in the new home. Can you ask the breeder if they're willing to keep the kitten a while longer?

Also ask to see the kitten's vet paperwork, and the parent cats' papers too. I think that will say a lot.

No, you won't be on the hook for the rest of the money if you don't take a kitten.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask if the kitten is being treated? With what? And has a vet seen the kitten for this problem? Ask to see the resulting paperwork if yes. Also ask to talk to the vet if the kitten is being treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilyPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the responses.

Uncled, I agree that $1800 is a lot to pay for a kitten with a cold. According to the breeder, I'll receive a vet health certificate when I pick the kitten up, and the kitten will have received his first set of shots and first de-worming. (He will also be neutered.). For some reason, it didn’t occur to me to insist on seeing the vet records at the time. I will contact the breeder and ask.

Willowy, that's a good point -- if it does turn out that it's just a cold or something treatable, I should find out if the breeder will be willing to hold the cat until it's completely better.

ArchyCat, I will ask the breeder. I regret not being quicker on my feet and asking for more information, but I will take your advice now. Honestly, right now I wish I could back out of the deal. This was the first time I was going to splurge on a purebred cat (all my prior cats came from shelters and were wonderful). There are some really good breeders, and I shouldn't have just gone with the first kitten that I saw.

Thank you again for the advice.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought a dog once for 1800.00 dollars back in the day when no one had seen a French Bulldog before, now everyone has one, my point being it is fine to spend your money on quality companion animals, I would just hate to see or your daughter have to go to the vet with a sick pet only to find out it might be more than a cold. Please keep us updated,don't beat yourself up over it.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree the breeder should be willing to keep the kitten until well. Kittens do sometimes get colds, just like we do. It would have been a wise thing not to fall in love with the first kitten you saw, no matter how hard that is. It is best to shop with your head first, not follow your heart. That is especially true with an animal who will share your life and heart for years to come.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, kittens get colds. Kittens also get parasites. It happens. We just got a Maine Coon kitten from an extremely reputable and well known breeder who, as it turned out, was asymptomatic for coccidia, but had it nonetheless. She also developed a slight cold thereafter probably due to her immune system being somewhat depressed due to the parasite.

However, the breeder had given us a one month free continuation of the pet insurance she had the kitten already on as part of the package we paid for - all we had to do was call within 24 hours to transfer the policy to our name. This said a lot about the breeder and her concern and care for the cats she was raising.

We also did not pay $1800. Goodness that's a LOT of money for a kitten - is this for pet quality or for one that has breeding rights? What breed is it? How old is the kitten Had the kitten received initial vaccinations?

EDIT: We were also provided with the vaccination schedule from the breeder's vet, the certificate to register the kitten with CFA and other important information. Were you provided with similar items? A proper contract for example?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for the responses.

Uncled, I agree that $1800 is a lot to pay for a kitten with a cold. According to the breeder, I'll receive a vet health certificate when I pick the kitten up, and the kitten will have received his first set of shots and first de-worming. (He will also be neutered.). For some reason, it didn’t occur to me to insist on seeing the vet records at the time. I will contact the breeder and ask.

Willowy, that's a good point -- if it does turn out that it's just a cold or something treatable, I should find out if the breeder will be willing to hold the cat until it's completely better.

ArchyCat, I will ask the breeder. I regret not being quicker on my feet and asking for more information, but I will take your advice now. Honestly, right now I wish I could back out of the deal. This was the first time I was going to splurge on a purebred cat (all my prior cats came from shelters and were wonderful). There are some really good breeders, and I shouldn't have just gone with the first kitten that I saw.

Thank you again for the advice.
Ok, I thought you already had the kitten at home.