MacBook - Cleo Walked On Keyboard - Is There A System Restore For Apple?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a new laptop.  I decided to go with a MacBook, since I was tired of Microsoft and all the virus issues.  I know nothing (or as close to nothing as humanly possible) about things Apple.  Cleo decided to walk across the keyboard, and my desktop resolution (?) or size has changed, and I can't figure out how to get back to the default setting.  With XP, I could do a system restore and undo the unwanted change.  I have no idea how to do that with my new laptop.  My Mac For Dummies doesn't seem to have the answer I need....and I can't find a "Mac For Really Stupid Dummies" book.  I'm getting well and truly frustrated with this laptop.  I am about ready to toss it into traffic and go back to Microsoft (since I know how to use it.)

Thanks for any help you can give me!  If it would be easier to talk me through it, please PM me for a phone number.  I'm feeling rather desperate!

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you go to system preferences you can change it there. 

Click on the main screen so that you're in Finder (it'll say Finder beside the apple on the upper lefthand corner of the screen). Press Command (the apple button) and N at the same time, it'll open up a little box. In that box, there is a little search box in the upper righthand corner. Type in System Preferences, it'll bring up the application so you can double click on it and open it. 

In System Preferences, if you click on display, you can change the resolution of the screen. Mine is set to 1280x800 on my MacBook. 

In System Preferences you'll also see a search bar in the upper righthand corner. You can search for more specific things there and it will grey out everything that isn't relevant and highlight what is. 

Hopefully that helps, there might be an easier way to do it but I was trying to do the most simple, lol. Macs are great once you learn how to use them, the learning curve can be a pain though. I've had a Mac for so long now that I get extremely confused when I'm on PC now, lol. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks...I tried that, but my desktop is still sized larger than my screen.  I have to scroll left to right to see the apple in the left to the time on the right.  I have to scroll up and down to see the desktop navigation line to my dock.  

So there's nothing like the PC's system restore on Apple?  That would make my life SO much easier.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a setting, it's a feature.  It sounds like your little mischief maker turned the desktop Zoom on. 

Try going back into System Preferences, and select Universal Access.  See if the Zoom radio button has been checked.  It can be turned on and off from the keyboard as well, which is probably what happened. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHMYGOSH!  Thank you!  Cleo has a new name....Mischief Maker, and I have a new hero!  I don't know which buttons she pushed, but I bet I couldn't even do it with opposable thumbs!  

I really need to sit down and figure out how this computer works.  It seems like every day it's something new, and another exercise in futility and exasperation!

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

Maggie is on my lap right now and I'm giving her the side-eye....stay away from the keyboard!