Mac Stopped Eating, Please Help

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he will tolerate the urgent care, I would stick to that. The most important thing is to get his calories back up. That turkey recipe sounds like it would be a little thinner on calories. You can offer the turkey recipe by mouth.

My Krista was a different case than Mac. She didn’t get as far as fatty liver. Probably because she didn’t have a whole lot of fat to begin with. She went in for dental issues. Her blood work showed cholangiohepatitis. My theory is that the “feed whatever she will eat” stage between when she broke her tooth and when I got her to the vet caused an IBD flare up which got the liver stuffy and the bile sluggish. I would guess based on all the testing we did that the IV fluids and Baytril (antibiotic) gave her a much needed flush. But the urso got the bile moving again. I had the feeding tube put in her so we could start feeding her liver again without having to go through a mouth the vet just operated on. Once the problem teeth were extracted, she was eating by mouth again in no time. I only used the tube myself for giving meds. I had the urso compounded as a liquid. I gave 5 cc of food. The urso. Sometimes Cerenia. Flush and seal. Usually she ate some more on her own after I sealed her up. She needed the tube to eat for less than 10 days. I kept it because I wasn’t certain how long her mouth or her liver would remain stable enough to remove the tube. My thought was that since it is a procedure to put it in, I’d rather leave it in too long than take out too soon. Krista had other ideas. The vet didn’t leave enough length on the tube to make it lay flat against the kitty kollar. A couple of times the sutures came loose or undone and I had to take her into the vet to get the placement checked and the sutures redone. The second time Krista gave a shake, jerk, whatever (I wasn’t there) and left the vet with the tube in her hand and not in my cat anymore. She decided she was done with the tube. Her numbers and eating looked good enough to honor her decision. Even though I barely used it, and it had some hiccups like the sutures coming undone or the cap kept flying off (easily fixed with masking tape), I don’t regret the tube one bit.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used Hills A/D mixed half and half with water. I tried for 60 mls of that mixture four times a day, it worked out to almost a 6 oz can per day. You can only give what he will tolerate though, it won't do any good if he vomits.

The Denamarin should be given whole, it has a protective coating so it dissolves in the intestines. The milk thistle will help, it is actually one of the active ingredients in the Denamarin.

It was probably 3 weeks before Patches started eating well again and over a month before his ALT started dropping.