Lysine question

juniemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have an old scruffy feral that is so sweet and recently had what remained of his teeth removed as they were rotten.  He was healing nicely for about 3 days after the operation when he was hit with a URI.    They put him on Doxy but I don't think its helping.  I have been taking him into a hot steamy bathroom for 20 mins a day because everything is clogged up and he is breathing through his mouth.

I was doing some searches here at the Cat Site and noticed some post about giving lysine……wish I had seen that a few days ago as Im worried it may be too late.  Maybe Im just being paranoid  I just gave him 500 mg of lysine and wil give another 500 in a few hours but syringing stuff into his mouth makes him gag because of the mouth breathing.

I wonder if I should just go ahead and begin my other cat on the lysine even though he has no symptoms.  Its been about 6 days since the one cat started getting symptoms.

Neither of them have ever had this before  I guess the feral was exposed to a lot of stuff when he was at the vet for the extractions  This was only the second time he has ever been at the vet .

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress is a major contributor to URIs and going to the vet and the surgery is surely a big stress on your kitty.  You can crush lysine and mix into wet food with a bit of water added.  Give 500mg twice a day.  The only thing with Lysine is that it can take up to a month to see any results. I would call the vet in the morning and ask for a different antibiotic since the doxy doesn't seem to be working. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juniemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He isn't eating but drinking quite a bit. I put it in his mouth with a medicine dropper. Maybe it's viral in which case the antibiotic won't do much I guess.