Lymphoma Felv+ Cat Advice

almacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I've visited this forum many times but this is the first time I dare to post something, I hope you could give me some advice or your opinion regarding your own experience since cat lymphoma is such devastating news, this is our story:

Last year I picked up a 4 month kitten from the street, took her home and took care of her, I called her Bebine, I introduced her to my other female cat Freya, long story short: few months later Freya got infected of FeLV by Bebine and presented symptoms but she was given a treatment on Interferon, I was devastated but keep on hoping, one year later she's totally fine, our vet said she made it and probably will never present symptoms anymore.

This year, almost exactly one year later, Bebine started to present symptoms (weight loss, decreased activity), her blood test showed she had low lymphocytes count due to FeLV, we started the Interferon treatment on her but I noticed Bebine had difficult breathing so I took her to the vet and he took a radiography that showed Bebine had liquid on her torax which prevented her lungs from expanding normally, and what seemed a lymphoma on the mediastinum (in her chest, close to her heart) they drained the liquid on her body so she could breathe again but the vet said a surgery to remove the lymphoma is too dangerous and too expensive and that chemotherapy could lower her lymphocyte count even more which is dangerous as well, she didn't respond well to the interferon treatment so chemo is not an option anymore (the vet said chemo would probably fail, also is expensive and they would do her blood tests every week and I don't wan to make her go through that).

I took her home with prednisone and bought something like the ES Clear treatment which happens to be Essiac Tea, It's been a week now.

She also has anorexia, I syringe feed her but she barely eats two spoons of wet food a day, sometimes she gets up and walks a little, she sits hunched from time to time or wags the tip of her tail.

I don't know what to do anymore, I've cried, I've tried, I don't know if she's in pain, I just want her to be okay or at least I don't want her to suffer, I swear I've never loved a cat so much, Freya and Bebine are my life, I don't know when it's time to let her go, sometimes she looks at me like nothing's wrong but I see her and sometimes she looks so miserable, she's only 1 and a half year old.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
> "we started the Interferon treatment on her but I noticed Bebine had difficult breathing so I took her to the vet and he took a radiography that showed Bebine had liquid on her torax which prevented her lungs from expanding normally"

It seems strange the breathing issues started immediately after taking a new medication. How soon after the new medication did all of this start? Was the drained fluid sent out to the lab for testing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

almacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she had the lymphoma before we started the Interferon, I don't think they tested the fluid, but the vet told me it was clearly lymph fluid