Lymphoma And Steroids

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I opted to only treat Oscar with steroids after talking with my vet. Oscar has serious anxiety issues when at the vet, and turns into a biting monster. We agreed that attempting chemo would not give him a good quality of life since he would have to go weekly. My vet suggested prednisone for him, which I started on Friday. He became so lethargic and week he couldn’t even keep his balance. I wanted to see if it was the prednisone causing this so I skipped giving him it for 24 hours. It definitely was the prednisone, because he has perked back up and is walking just fine. I will obviously talk it over with my vet, but I’m kinda leaning towards keeping him off it. It was prescribed to give him comfort but I think it’s doing the opposite. Does anyone have experience with this?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I used pred successfully for quite some time years ago with a cat who had intestinal lymphoma and might be facing the same issue with a current cat that I own. The first cat, Milo, tolerated the pred very well but since Oscar seems to have had a negative reaction to it I agree that your only choice is to discuss this with the vet. I don't know what the long term issues could be with keeping him off the pred with this condition or if there are choices of other meds.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate how Prednisone makes me feel personally. I've had to give it to a cat before who responded just fine to it, my current cat though is much more sensitive to medications and Prednisone throws him for a loop. My guy doesn't do so well with a lot of different medications though so I've had to go with holistic options.

I am not one of those people who reaches for holistic options most of the time either. But my guy just does not do well on any sort of pain killer or steroid or anything really. Which really sucks because he has bad arthritis in his leg. I've been doing CBD for that with some success. Just my personal experience of course, and I am aware that there are risks since it is still medically unknown but my boy is very limited because of his arthritis without something. When he is on the CBD he is drastically improved so it's one of those quality versus (potentially) quantity of life decisions that I knowingly make.

I am not telling you to go against vet instructions.... But it might be worth telling your vet he's reacting poorly and are their any holistic options. CBD is used by humans with cancer, my neighbor used it to control her pain with her terminal cancer before her passing. It doesn't hurt to ask. If your vet gives the green light, make sure you get quality products because there are a lot of snake oils out there.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry about Oscar. Have you talked to the vet about Prednisolone instead of Prednisone? Prednisolone is the metabolized form of Prednisone. When administered, a cat’s liver processes Prednisone – turning it into Prednisolone. Prednisolone is prescribed to cats with weak or compromised livers so it is easier for their body to process. So, if by chance Oscar has any liver issues at all, that might be why he is responding that way. Or, perhaps another steroid that might work a bit differently than Prednisone? Even a lesser dose?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use CBD oil for my dog. From what his vet told me, the biggest concern right now with it is that it possibly/probably disrupts the pathways used by other medications causing either too much (of the prescribed med) to be available to the animal or too little. Having said that, the dog is on three other meds and all seem to be working effectively. If there is not another med which is being used I would not worry about that aspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
retty sure it's Prednisone, from what I read Prednisolone is only prescribed if there's liver issues. They tested him for everything and the only thing they found wrong was the mass in his abdomen that is lymphoma. All of his organs were functioning with in normal range except his splean was a little enlarged. Although I expect it's all gotten worse since then since he's eating less and less and has switched from laying in his favorite window spot to a dark cubby. I am going to try to get out of work early today and hopefully take him to the vet to see what she thinks, see if there are any other options for steroids or anything for pain.

Kiwimom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was put on predisolone for lymphoma. She started eating again and was doing great for around 7 weeks. She then quit eating and we had to euthanize her a couple of weeks ago. The vet said with predisolone only they can live for a few weeks or months. So sad.

Kiwimom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was put on predisolone for lymphoma. She started eating again and was doing great for around 7 weeks. She then quit eating and we had to euthanize her a couple of weeks ago. The vet said with predisolone only they can live for a few weeks or months. So sad.
She was only 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.