Lymphoma and food choices

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 my little female Franny 12 yrs old has Lymphoma.  She started losing weight May 30 2014 and today July 7 she is barely eating although keeps begging me for food.  She had and xray and sono to determine a mass in her lower regions.  I gave her prednisolone 1 ml 2 times a day 3 days, then 1 a day 3 days and now I am on every other day.  Starting yesterday.  She will not eat anything I put down.  wet/dry/real/treats/baby food.  Not much water either.  I am calling the vet tomorrow.  My heart tells me that the end is near. I am not going the Chemo route after much sole searching. Any thoughts on food or feeding for the next week or month that I have her?  Each story we read helps us get through this terrible loss of our pets unlike when with people you usually know with todays technology and verbal communication what is happening in the human body. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say whatever she will eat.  I am so sorry you and your kitty are going through this.  I would ask the vet why she is being tapered off the pred.  Normally that is done to see if a kitty's inflammation stays controlled with other measures usually diet change, I am not understanding why she is being tapered off of it.

Keeping her on a therapeutic dose of pred may give her some more good time, of course there are no guarantees.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I, too, don't understand why your cat is on a tapered dose.

If she wants to eat, but doesn't, it could be a nausea or stomach acid problem related to the lymphoma. Ask your vet about this. There are a few cat-safe remedies. This, and the pred, might buy you a bit of time.

Enjoy your remaining time with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up.  You can see in my new post(2nd opinion) my vet told me to start her on 2ml every other day and see what happens.  I am not sure because of her size(fairly small all her life) the first dosages were 1ml 2x a day/3days then 1ml 1 a day/3 days then 1 ml every other day.  I am reading where many cats were given up to 3ml a day.  So 2 days ago my vet suggested 2ml every other day.  Today is her 2nd day getting the 2 ml.  Please read my post of 2nd opinion or not.  I  appreciate your comments on why the dosage is being tapered.  It seems that most dosages are every other day going forward.  He had said if she improves we could go to 2 x a week, but she has not improved much.  Any thoughts appreciated.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robinathome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She comes to me 2-3 times a day begging for food.  I open 3 different cans she smells it and most often does not eat and begs for something else.  She is drinking some water.  She will get 2ml Prednisolone again tonight( every other day but vet said its ok to up the dose 3 days ago from 1ml to 2 ml).  On Prednisolone for 2 weeks now. 

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She could be nauseated. Did you ask your vet about this? Is she throwing up stomach acid? It looks like foam. Some people, myself included, have success with 1/4 tab of Pepcid AC 10 mg. It has to be the Pepcid AC - other Pepcids contain ingredients that are not cat friendly.

Try the strongest smelling food you can find. Duck, for example, has a strong smell. Heating the wet food up a bit makes it smell more. Did the vet discuss what to do if your cat does not eat and syringe feeding with you? It is not good for a cat to go without food for any length of time. It could develop fatty liver disease, which is serious. There is a very good video here about syringe feeding. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating

I'm not a vet. I suggest you try calling your vet and ask.