Lykoi aka "werewolf cat"

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw a video on facebook about a lykoi cat. Its apparently soon going to be an offical breed. Anyone have any experience with them? Or general info?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of Lykoi cats before. They look and sound a fascinating breed. Bumping in the hopes that other member will have more information for you :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I have read they are on track to being accepted as an official breed by TICA  this year. The first breeder ( a DVM, by the way)  is located in Tennessee and is working with Dr Leslie Lyons to map the genome of the the breed since the mutation that caused this type of cat isn't found in any other breed of cat.  Grooming sounds like it would be much like a Sphynx cats since they have little coat. The breeders website says they are intelligent and not clingy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There has been one found...oh, I forget where...overseas.  I've been following this emerging breed since I first ran across it a little while back, possibly on Mother Nature News.  They're wonderfully odd looking little guys, and I am quite smitten.  They cost more than I could ever afford, and I'm more of an "adopt don't shop" person, but these guys might tempt me!

If you want to explore more, try this link:

lykoikitten.com/

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to google them also, and found this video:

I think it shows pretty clearly what the fuss is about -- the color pattern on the face has that werewolf look, even a bit bear-like IMO, and the woman in the video explains why the coat pattern is unique. Apparently it's a coat seen in dogs, but never seen in cats before now. The cat in the video seems like a playful and happy little guy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry that link didn't work, but they are definitely worth googling, aren't they?  The web site has all sorts of photos, of the parent stock and kittens.  I am utterly entranced by these little guys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While googling pictures of them some are pretty cute, others are not haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk