Luxating Patellar Diagnosis (a Long Post)

dcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I stumbled on this site while doing some research on patellar luxation. My kitty, Emma, was diagnosed with this yesterday. She started limping this weekend and barely moved on Saturday and Sunday. At the vet on Monday momimg, our vet said that Emma had an advanced care of luxating patella. Emma’s knee caps will not stay in place and there’s probably a little pain. It sounds like surgery is the only option and I simply can’t afford iit. Emma is 11 years old She’s comfortable in the second bedroom which is now hers. Pillows, litter box, food, water are all within easy reach. I guess this is our life from now on.

Today’s Update: Somehow Emma has figured out how to get around. This morning she was waiting for me in the kitchen for breakfast, she was laying on the bath mat while I was in the shower, she used her old litter nbox which is a few inches from the floor, and greeted me at the front door when I got home tonight. Unbelievable. She’s still limping, and laying down after walking a bit, but I am thrilled that she’s figured how to get around despite her new challenge.
I would love to hear others’ stories about this condition? Has anyone had the surgery?

Thanks in advance!
my 9 month old kitty had double luxating patellas, couldn't walk (was fine his first 8 months too... could leap tall buildings) "Board Certified" Vet surgeons were quoting me from $2700 - $3300 per knee. I never thought to ask our new vet we started with when we adopted him months earlier... then he told us he had done this surgery over 60 times already, but only once for a cat (luxating patellas are very common in pedigree small dogs). His price was $2250 total (doing both knees at the same surgery, which we preferred to one at a time six to nine months apart). He performed the surgery and 4 years later my black and white Dexter is the acrobat in the house. He might be a little arthritic in old age from it but he is living a great life. They should recommend waiting till a year old so all the bone plates in the knees/legs can shift join properly, but we had no choice when our Dexter could no longer walk. He would limp/drag himself to the food bowl and litter box. Best of luck with your kitty.