Luuup Litter Box- yay or nay?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I figured I'd better come back around and share my second review. First I'll say this, if you use the right litter, the box works VERY well.

I started the luupp box with Arm & Hammer Ultra and had a lot of issues with clumps attached to the side of the box and that were very difficult to get off. It was a really nasty experience and made cleaning the box a way bigger pain than scooping out a traditional litterbox. Luuup recommended I try another litter, World's Best Cat Litter. I was leery to switch because I wasn't sure my cat would go for it, but as it turns out World's Best is a much higher quality litter than Arm & Hammer Ultra. It generally looks better and smells better. It didn't stick to my cats feet nearly as much and right away noticed less of it tracked around the house. All of that is just a bonus though, because...THE LUUUP BOX ACTUALLY WORKS WITH THIS LITTER.

The clumping is much quicker and the urine absorbed and not able to float around on top and find the edge of the box. I've shaken it out four times now, once after purposefully ignoring it for two days, and had almost no clumps sticking to the side of the box. The two clumps that did stick were very easy to nudge off using the bag I was dumping the clumps into. Seriously, just a slight nudge the offending clumps slipped right off.

The litter I purchased was specifically https://www.chewy.com/worlds-best-cat-litter-scoopable/dp/37593

I sort of accidentally got the multiple cat formula, it's written down near the bottom practically under the bag when it's on the shelf. I didn't realize it until I got home and finished emptying it into the box. My cat doesn't seem to care so we'll probably stick with it I guess.
"Multiple cat formula" means that it clumps better.  Given a choice between a multiple cat formula and a regular clumping litter, I always buy the multiple cat formula, even though I only have one cat.  And that's not dependent on the kind of litter box I use -- it applies to all litter boxes.

I'm glad to hear that using the right litter is making it work for you -- you certainly spent enough for it; you should be getting value for your money.  (This doesn't mean I'm about to buy one.  For one thing, I'm not certain that World's Best is available in unscented, and I don't have enough money to buy a premium cat litter every time.)

Margret

Last edited:

billie w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bought 3 on EBay. Wonderful!

The guy on the video need not shake so vigorously. I just barely lift the top tray and it sifts. A few "tilts" and it's done sifting. A final tilt to the small end and all the clods and some dust go easily into a trash can. I have found that nothing sticks to the sloped sides. Acts like Teflon for me. No litter has gotten stuck in the slots. I have my LUUUP filled with about 3 inches of litter.

The tabs make the repositioning mistake proof. I am testing different clumping litters to try to find low dust and no track properties. Any advice?

My kitten goes to work with me and his box is on navy blue carpeting. Want to minimize tracking, for sure.

Anyway, I love the LUUUP!

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After reading all of your reviews I am so glad I did not purchase this litter box!!! Baby herself could care less whether I scoop it or the box cleans itself. I'll stick to scooping it.

freezem12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was so excited about this design and waited very patiently for them to arrive.  I bought two and wasted $100.  It's so much easier to scoop, as with myold boxes.  I've cleaned up so many messes because I've had cat pee leak on the floor under the Luuup's, and litter everywhere.  Cleaning them is so much more time consuming than scooping.  You have to use something to get the big clumps out of the top tray, as well as having to poke the wet litter from the slats on the bottom.  I use a chopstick.  Awful.  I have better things to do with my time.  

ddodds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Totally agree!  I am having the EXACT same problem.  Urine sticks the litter to the side of the box.  Have to wash the sifting try almost daily.  Disappointed in this purchase.

freezem12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am using Sweat Scoop, but bought the recommended World's Best Litter to see if it works better.

ddodds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In reading the recommendation of a couple of people to try that litter with this particular box, I too am going to try it.  It's more expensive than the litter I currently use, which I was happy with when I was using other litter boxes, but I will give it a try as I like the concept of cleaning the Luup with ease.

jonimueller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ordered two of these because I have two cats. I have one downstairs and one upstairs, and I've also left behind one of their favorite litter boxes just in case. The litter is a bit heavy but they tell you not to raise the top tray too high when sifting. I generally sit in a chair to clean my cats' litter boxes anyway, so this is not a problem for me. I use tall 30 gallon kitchen trash bags which just fit the narrow end of the litter tray. The first time I used it I had an accident and somehow ended up with litter all over the floor. I did figure out what I was doing wrong and I haven't made that mistake since. So cleaning the litter box has been very easy, and the cats seem to like it as well as they like their previous litter trays. My two litter boxes shipped with -- I guess you could call it a cover -- it's an extended side I guess that keeps the litter from flying out of the box but my cats tend to make a mess anyway. The boxes are very large. I have two Maine Coons and my male is about 18 pounds and he's long with a long tail and he fits in there very comfortably. There was one instance where some poop had stuck to the side of the top tray and I use Clorox wipes to clean the tray thoroughly before putting it on the bottom. I've only been using this trade for about two weeks so I'm about due for a thorough cleaning. With the other litter pans I would completely empty, bleach and cleanser them every two weeks. I use tidy cat clumping litter to scoop in between. So far the cats like it and once I figured out to pay attention to how the trays go I didn't have any more litter spillage. It seems fairly easy to clean and it also seems quite sanitary.

ivanista

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nay! I invested through Kickstarter and, after a delay, was excited to try my new Luuup. I did just as they said to set it up, filled it with 15 pounds of clumping litter, and waited. When I went to clean it .. . dissappointment! I lifted the top tray, dumped it, and was still left with a mess! I shook, tapped it and still a mess. I ended up having to clean the slats out and replace it (turn it 180 degrees and put it on the bottom). Tried a new litter. same thing. And another new litter. Same thing. I tried setting it up differently. Nothing worked. As long as cats pee, the moisture goes down into the slats, taking litter with it, and you have a mess stuck between the slats.

Sadly, this Luuup may end up in the trash. Oh well. I tried it, didn't work, back to scooping.

kelly jo boyd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I purchased this in April and finally got it in August. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! It is the worse cat box I have ever used!!! It is so much trouble and ridiculous to use! My cats make 10 times more mess even with the cover.  You basically cannot move it at all or else the slits shift and cat litter spews all over. They are wrong in saying the sides keep you from turning it the wrong way when you have litter in it and trying to put the one on the bottom it doesn't work because of the weight. Plus everything sticks to the sides and good luck getting the litter clumps out of the slits!! GIANT PAIN to clean every single time you sift! They gave me all kinds of rules and steps to follow when I complained. Only used it for 2 months and couldn't take it anymore went back to my old box with a liner HELLO easy! They also would not even consider giving me my money back!!! 

gotpets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nan- I order the Luuup- I was very disappointed after a week of use - you cannot use in a tile floor it's not a completely level floor. The also require 17 lbs of littler to be in the pan. Try picking that first try up. Because the floor isn't completely level the little leaks on the floor through slats in the bottom of the pan. My cat pees a lot and since I'm not poring 17 lbs of litter Into the pan it leaks on the floor. The customer server is very slow to respond and they will not refund your money. Don't buy!

thatgirlfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with everybody else. DO NOT BUY THIS.

We got two and are SO disappointed. And we were so psyched to try them. What a waste of money.

First, it recommends 4-5 inches of litter depth. So we used an entire 20 lb box of litter in one Luup and the urine STILL clumps like glue to the sides of the box. It's SO gross and frustrating. When you empty it, you have to scrape, wipe, rinse and poke the layer and its slats, which totally defeats the purpose of this thing being "easier". No wonder the guy the lady says she got the idea from in the video abandoned it.

Also, its very very heavy to lift a tray full of 20 lbs of litter and the sides of each tray are thin and sort of sharp plastic that certainly doesn't help you get a grip on such a heavy pan. Even when I've tried to be extra careful, I've still spilled litter all over the floor each time. It gets stuck and hides in the slats or it spills out before you can get it to the trash bag. It's such a mess. So beyond cleaning and scrubbing the pan itself, you also have to sweep and wipe the floor around it more often.

The pan is also an awkwardly large size, so I can't use the normal small plastic bags I've always used for litter. I've had to use large kitchen bags which is more expensive and kind of a waste. I am using Tidy Cats like they recommended and might try World's Best Litter but can't see myself realistically sticking (no pun intended haha) to such an expensive litter brand. It's just not practical for us especially when it takes a whole bag PER box.

All in all, avoid this litter box. It'll take you 2 minutes to scoop a normal box and like a half hour to empty this mess. STAY AWAY.

booger bear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
NAYYYYY!!!!!!!

The video makes it look really easy. In reality, you still have to use a scooper to get the urine off the walls and between the slots.  You definitely have to rinse the pan so the stuff stuck on the wall will not eventually end up on your carpet/floor.  To top it off, if the pan is slightly tilted when you put it back, you will lose all the litter onto the floor.  I had to vacuum litter on several occasions.  

I am gonna try to return this crap.  Or if anyone wants to still try it, make me an offer.  I have 2... one has never been used and the other one has been used less than a month.

richard every

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, firstly the magic litter they have does not exist in this world. They told me to change the litter to Tidy Cats. I did. I changed the litter. Did not make a difference, the litter clumps stick to the inside of the box, and cat poop gets stuck in the slits. The boxes also seep cat litter everywhere, plus they are small and low, so for any bigger cat, it's useless.

This product is a bust unfortunately. The only thing that was ever good, was the video advertising the product. The delays in production, endless waiting, and spending $100 on 2 sets for our three cats, that is actually about $1’s worth of low quality plastic, is exactly what I have now. I feel I was taken for a ride. It's a scam as far as I am concerned and it pains me that they raised $2.5M.

DON'T DO IT!!!

loralita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ehhh. That's my review. It SHOULD be based on usage (so I'll quickly sweep over how I got a "your Luuup(s x2) has shipped" email, and 3 months later, I was moving and emailed them to say, 'hey, I can I give you a new address instead of waiting for forwarding'. Nothing. I got my 2 Luuups the next day/day before I moved, so I didn't follow up, but I JUST received a response a few days ago about how they would be happy to change my address. Four 1/2 weeks too late.....Anywho......I was SOOOO excited about this. That's why I got two......I DO like it better than conventional. BUT, it's not the **perfect** catbox they claim. Nope. Too MUCH litter, and it gets kicked EVERYwhere outside the box. I literally threw out the litter guard, cuz it did nothing but get smashed around. (I'll pause to say I've had 19 cats total throughout my life and have had 2-3 of my "own" during my adult life, plus taken care of 50+ street cats, so I've observed many a cat doing their business.). 

After the cats use it, you have to bang it into a trash bag to get the sticky litter that is stuck in the slots out. The slots are a little too big. I've tried putting MORE litter in (and then the cats just kick it out everywhere, cuz cats want LESS and CLEAN litter so that it doesn't feel like quicksand to them, even if humans want MORE litter.....), and with LESS litter, there are poop bits stuck to the sides. Plus litter that's been clumped by pee gets stuck in the slots. I have to hold the top tray inside a trash bag, slam it, then slam it with a SCOOP (something I thought I'd be able to give up with this Luuup). turn my face away whilst slamming even harder, then putting that tray at the bottom.....then seeing little pieces of poop in the box cuz the slots were too wide. It defeats the purpose! And it's even worse when there is a random poop stain on the inside "wall" cuz you are supposed to put that tray UNDER the other two, so it's basically like you're putting a poop-stained tray under the others. Unless you wipe it clean, which COMPLETELY defeats this purpose. 

However, for some reason, I still find this easier to deal with than my cats' normal box. I also have asshole cats right now (not all are, but mine are currently), and they are liking to kick a lot. So I bought a HUGE box, put it in a HUGE lawn garbage bag and tied it off to make it fit snugly, then put the Luuup inside that (and threw out that "litter guard"), and it works for me. Now. Just a meh review. I love the idea. I find it less than perfect. 

whil mccutchan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Time for the "well, it's been a couple of months..." review. 

TL,DR. 2/5 stars. Scooping is probably easier and more sanitary as the box requires multiple shake outs per day, tends to spill litter easily, and might be leaking urine on the floor. The box does look nice though I suppose. 

I'm seriously considering going back to scooping. Shaking out the box is a little faster than scooping, but the shaking process causes litter to spill all around the box. Early on I figured there was a method to shake it out without spilling and I just hadn't figured it out yet, but at this point I just bring the vacuum with me to the litter box every time. There is always some litter that spills either during the shake out or when initially lifting the top section to begin the shaking process.

I also tend to slide the box away from the wall to make it easier to pick up and there has pretty much always been some urine under the box that appears to be leaking through. I'm not sure if my cat is missing the box or what, but ALWAYS having pee on the table the box rests on is getting old. 

I've noticed that if you shake it out twice a day the box seems to work best, but how does that save time or energy? It's the same amount of work to shake it out when there's one clump or ten clumps in it, I'm basically just spending more time shaking it out than I would scooping and scooping doesn't spill litter every where. It would take ten seconds per rotation to scoop the box twice a day. In my circumstance that's too much just to make the box work correctly. 

Finally, my cat seems to prefer a larger box. He might be slightly on the bigger side as far as cats go, but he's not huge by any stretch. He's just a big boned black cat. I've watched him use the box (that sounds a lot weirder than I intended it to) and it seems like he's hunting a lot for a spot in the box. When he begins "business handling operations", he tends to be in the center of the box. This puts his backside VERY close to the edge and what I would consider at risk for accidents. 

fredwerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is exactly my expiereance. I will add that you may as well just dump all your newly sifted cat litter right on the floor because that is whjere it ends up the second you do not remove the top exactly right or put it back on the bottom in the same fashion. with three cats the upkeep is way more work.

gegegranny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got my box in a few days ago, and I'm not too impressed. It's better than dealing with lacerated liners since my cats have their claws, but there is still clean up involved. The urine still sticks to the edges of the box, so I have to use the scoop to get it off, then have to spray the top tray down several times to get it clean enough to put it on the bottom. Disappointing especially since we waited months after the expected delivery date.