Lung Problems, Is The Diagnosis Correct?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eh, I don't know.
vicks menthol rub toxic to cats? at DuckDuckGo

I guess if it were me, I'd avoid any product like this around my kitty just to be sure. Menthol, peppermint, camphor, etc.

I doubt menthol actually breaks up mucus or phlegm anyway -- just the smell convinces a human it supposedly does
Not commenting on the toxic part as I'm not sure. But what's done is done at this point anyway.

Menthol helps with congestion somehow. My cat had a plugged up nose for a few days and was breathing through his mouth, now he breathes normally.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt menthol actually breaks up mucus or phlegm anyway -- just the smell convinces a human it supposedly does
I have put it directly on my chest for congestion, and yes it does help with clearing up my passage ways. But, still doesn't mean it is necessarily good for a cat. I can't believe breathing it is toxic.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yes, what's done is done, but.......

Menthol helps with congestion somehow.....
Menthol's effect is psychological, not physical at all. Its supposed beneficial effect is an 'old wives' tale', an urban myth. Mr. Google will tell you all about this.

It's the humidity that is the active agent......which is why we use plain 'steaming' as treatment for a congested cat. (I suspect that cats find menthol additives offensive.)

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am back from the vet. He decided not to take a lung xray yet. He will see Count in 15 days. Apparently he didn't heal as much as he expected. Until yesterday, he said on the day the last shot is done (today) he will take a xray and prescribe ONE pill for 30 days.

Now he prescribed TWO pills (theophylline and methylprednisolone), a drop of black cumin oil and half a teaspoon of pure olive oil. Not sure if I'm dealing with a doctor or a village herbalist. I will give the pills for sure but I'm not sure about the other two. What do you think?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I don't like this therapy either. All of the pills: theophylline and mp are not candies. I mean, it's a very aggressive therapy for a long period of time (30 days, right?)

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I don't like this therapy either. All of the pills: theophylline and mp are not candies. I mean, it's a very aggressive therapy for a long period of time (30 days, right?)
15 days at first, then he will see Count. But I'm sure he will prescribe at least 15 more days because he initially said "at least 30 days."

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Count Count - where in Turkey are you?
In Bahçeşehir, Istanbul. But I temporarily don't have a car due to an accident so I can't travel far. There are probably about 10 vets close by, and the one I decided to go to seems to be one of the oldest and most reputable one.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you heard of this one: PatiSev Veteriner Kliniği (@patisevvet) • Instagram photos and videos ?

I'm not suggesting/endorsing those people......at least, though, they give the appearance of competency.
That's on the other side of Istanbul. At least 2 hours with a car, which I don't have atm, with busses probably 4 hours away. This could cause a lot of stress to the cat. I'm sure better places exist.

This is my current vet: Oksijen Veteriner (@o2_veteriner) • Instagram photos and videos
And this is my older incompetent vet: Gizmovet Veteriner Kliniği (@gizmovetveteriner) • Instagram photos and videos

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry to hear about Count. Just a thought I had about this... have any of the vets discussed or mentioned lungworm as a possibile cause? Has it been ruled out? If not, I would ask about it.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sorry to hear about Count. Just a thought I had about this... have any of the vets discussed or mentioned lungworm as a possibile cause? Has it been ruled out? If not, I would ask about it.
None of them mentioned that. But his parasite treatment is done. So if lungworms are one of those, I don't think that would be the case.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to give an update on the situation. Count has been coughing again in the past few days and his sneezing increased. Today I woke up to see him worse. He is sneezing like a machine gun breathing through his mouth since his nose is blocked. He has reduced appetite and is very lethargic. I took him to the vet.

They did a blood test again (below) and he said that the situation was bad and they lost a kitty last week that seemed better than Count was. He is hospitalized now with iv and some injections and he is being given oxygen and menthol (vet says menthol is safe). He will stay there for 24 hours at least. On monday they will take a sample from his nose to be analysed.

I feel horrible. I couldn't get myself to write this without drinking 2 bottles. I hope he will be fine. I am willing to do anything that I can do to save him. Hopefully the situation is not as bad as the vet says and he will not die, but recover.

I apologize is I made any typos. I am a bit drunk.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:( I'm really sorry to hear that... not that lungworm is "easy" to care for, but I thought it might be easier. It takes time to get better. What medication was given for parasites? Sometimes lungworm needs a specific antiparasitic instead of a broad spectrum one, in my experience.

I'm sorry to hear Count is not improving... I know its really hard to cope when your cat is ill and especially in hospital. But at least you know he is somewhere right now where he is being taken care of and can receive what he needs if his status changes. Are they calling you with any updates at any point?

Have they done an x-ray yet? I know you mentioned it before.

Hang in there! I know its hard, but you're doing your very best for Count and taking great care of him.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:( I'm really sorry to hear that... not that lungworm is "easy" to care for, but I thought it might be easier. It takes time to get better. What medication was given for parasites? Sometimes lungworm needs a specific antiparasitic instead of a broad spectrum one, in my experience.

I'm sorry to hear Count is not improving... I know its really hard to cope when your cat is ill and especially in hospital. But at least you know he is somewhere right now where he is being taken care of and can receive what he needs if his status changes. Are they calling you with any updates at any point?

Have they done an x-ray yet? I know you mentioned it before.

Hang in there! I know its hard, but you're doing your very best for Count and taking great care of him.
He was given "profender" for endoparasites.

They will call me if anything happens.

They didn't take another xray yet. I don't think they expect any changes yet.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're back from the vet. Count's situation is OK according to the vet. His sneezing and coughing decreased quite a bit thanks to oxygen, but he is a lot more lethargic now so I'm not sure if he is any better. He still can't breathe properly, there are difficulty noises. We will go to the vet again tomorrow for the sample from the nose. We will also start another round of antibiotics. I will keep you updated.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is time for another update. We went to the vet for the sample from the nose on monday and the results came today. Since monday up to today Count had antibiotic injections. The assumption was that this was an bacterial infection based on the blood test, and during his antibiotic treatment he was more energetic and playful, and his appetite was back. Coughing and sneezing decreased. But the lab results say that there is no bacteria detected in the sample. Today the vet decided to do his last antibiotic shot based on the results, and says that the sickness is viral, something that he denied many times before. He decided to give Count 3 Zylexis shots. Every day that I went there, listening with a stetescope he said Count was better than the day before, but when I asked for a xray as a proof, he refused. I'm not sure if I trust this vet anymore. I spent a fortune here, since he has a good reputation, hoping that he will make Count better. But nothing that he says seems to make sense. This zylexis thing is his last chance, and after it is done next week I will insist on a xray. If he refuses, I can always get a xray at a different vet. If there is no improvement, I am done with the this vet. Not sure what I will do after that though. I don't know a better place to go, and even if I did I ate through all of my savings paying for Count's treatment, so I cannot afford it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! So, Count is back on the immuno-stimulant, yes?

I have included a couple of links to articles about Zylexis and about FeLV and/or FIV infected cats. The one link is 9 years old, so there is probably more updated information that I haven't run across yet. The other link explains what FeLV and FIV are. This information might help explain all of the treatments Count has received to date. I think once you read the articles, especially the one on FeLV and FIV, you might agree.

New Treatment Offers Hope For Cats with FeLV and FIV | Catster

What is FeLV? | What is FIV? | petMD

At any rate, if this is the case with your cat, the vet might not feel there is any reason to do another x-ray, and is actually sparing you the expense.

If you do choose to go with another vet, is it possible where you live to get a copy of all of Count's records from the current vet? Those could be given to a new vet and you could reduce the expense to you as the new vet would not have to re-run all the tests.

Btw, I love the pic you posted of Count a few days ago!

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! So, Count is back on the immuno-stimulant, yes?

I have included a couple of links to articles about Zylexis and about FeLV and/or FIV infected cats. The one link is 9 years old, so there is probably more updated information that I haven't run across yet. The other link explains what FeLV and FIV are. This information might help explain all of the treatments Count has received to date. I think once you read the articles, especially the one on FeLV and FIV, you might agree.

New Treatment Offers Hope For Cats with FeLV and FIV | Catster

What is FeLV? | What is FIV? | petMD

At any rate, if this is the case with your cat, the vet might not feel there is any reason to do another x-ray, and is actually sparing you the expense.

If you do choose to go with another vet, is it possible where you live to get a copy of all of Count's records from the current vet? Those could be given to a new vet and you could reduce the expense to you as the new vet would not have to re-run all the tests.

Btw, I love the pic you posted of Count a few days ago!
I am not changing vets yet, I will give zylexis treatment a shot. I will change after that if there is no improvement and no reasonable explanation from the vet. I already have the reports for the blood work, an xray and the results for the culture test, so yes that would reduce the cost, but they might want to redo the tests.

I don't know if the vet thinks it is FIV or FeLV. I will call the vet tomorrow and ask if they are possible. Count never interacted with cats other than his littermates and my cousin's cat, my cousin's cat was tested for FeLV and FIV and he is clean. I don't know for sure but I would expect that his littermates are clean too. But he did have FeLV injected to him, twice (talking about vaccinations). Maybe they caused the infection?

What made you think that this is FeLV or FIV? It could also be FHV or FCV.