Lump Where Vaccinated

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 week old rescued kitty that got his first injection at the beginning of this week (she is approximately 7 weeks old now and at the moment of the injection), she only got one shot and will get the others when she's older.

I just noticed a lump next to her shoulder blades. It occurred to me that it is the spot where she got vaccinated. The vet luckily gave me the bottle to take home, she was injected with something called "Felocell cvr".

Here's some info on it: Felocell CVR (Canada) for Animal Use - Drugs.com

I have to go back to the vet in a couple of weeks, and I will take close monitoring of how the lump develops and will ask her about it.

Obviously I can't wait this long to ask my vet, so I would like to ask what you think about it?

It's concerning me, in a bad way

Has anyone had similar experiences? If so I'd love to hear about them and anything that accompanied it

Kind regards

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her, not his :blush: *

I did read that it can happen and should go away after a few weeks? Still would like to hear about similar experiences, it's always a bit scary to notice a lump, even it it's maybe nothing, always a bit concerning

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed a lump next to her shoulder blades.
Obviously it's not on both sides and only on her right side where she got the shot, I'm not a native English speaker, so apologies for my language!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It is known as the FVRCP "combo" vaccine, not by its brand name, to regular kitty parents. Kittens do need 3 doses of it 2-3 weeks apart but 7 weeks is too early to get the first one. Your vet should have waited several more weeks to give the first injection to her.

This kind of lump is usually a tumor called a vaccine-associated sarcoma.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
No it doesn't, but cats recover from them after having minor surgery. It isn't very difficult to remove (compared to other cancers) if caught early. Call the vet ASAP. Keep looking at her right shoulder to see if the lump changes shape or size.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi jason2321 and welcome to the forum !

This kind of lump is usually a tumor called a vaccine-associated sarcoma.
Now, that's just not the case.

Small lumps/bumps can and do occur often enough after vaccinations are administered. Almost all of these are 'simply' the result of an temporary inflammation at the injection site, and again, most/almost all of these will resolve after a little while.

Here is a reliable plain-English reference about this:

Be aware of lumps forming after vaccination (the 3-2-1 Rule). Lumps commonly form in the weeks following vaccination due to the immune stimulation and inflammation centered on this area. These lumps are usually normal and do not represent fibrosarcomas (which generally take years to develop, not weeks). If your cat develops one of these lumps under the skin (they are generally noticed by owners 3-4 weeks after vaccination), the lump may be left alone to resolve naturally. If the lump is still there three months from the time of vaccination, it should be removed and biopsied. Any lumps greater than 2 cm in diameter (approximately one inch) should be removed no matter how long a time has past since vaccination. Also, any lump should be removed if it is felt to be getting larger rather than smaller one month after its discovery. (3-2-1 refers to three months post vaccine, two cm in size, and growing bigger after one month.)
Vaccine Associated Fibrosarcoma in Cats - Veterinary Partner - VIN

IF that lump persists/remains or IF it becomes larger, then it would be a matter of concern.

Now, what does concern me is the location of the lump.

You said it is "next to her shoulder blades".

Yes, "Injection Site Sarcomas" do sometimes occur. IF/when they do, we have learned that it is better if they occur as far away from the 'body core' as possible...which means, in the far extremities, the tail or as far down a leg as possible. That way, any potential malignant growth can be removed with less potential for its spread.

Now, in North America there has been a recognized protocol for vaccination locations for many years. In the simplest of terms, here it is:

And, here are the complete guidelines: SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research (these were published in 2013....recently, the tail has been considered as an appropriate location....you'll find that in here: Vaccine Associated Fibrosarcoma in Cats - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!)

Where are you located ?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While lumps can be bad, many times they are localized temporary reaction and will go down. I tend to follow up with my vet so they are aware of it and we can start treatment should it become more serious. My boy got it was two different vaccines and in both cases it went down without complications. You also will want to find out which specific brand was used for the vaccine so you can avoid that one in the future.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you panic I highly doubt you are at the point of a sarcoma yet considering it popped up immediately after the vaccine happened. It is usually just a small reaction that happens right after being vaccinated. I wouldn't worry too much unless it never goes away or gets bigger. I highly doubt it is a sarcoma yet, just point it out to your vet when the kitten goes back for his next shots in a few weeks.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat diagram is wrong. The FLV vaccine is always given in the back left leg.

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like I missed a lot of notifications.

I called my vet and she reassured me it's nothing to worry about and should disappear after a couple of weeks and is a usual occurrence after vaccinations

Needless to say I've been reading A LOT on this subject, and it has eased my mind.

In any case it's becoming less pronounced already

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was also especially worried as some of you mentioned about the positioning.

Being so close to the center of the body and nearby organs is concerning.

Thank you all so much for all the replies!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
FVRCP, FeLV, and Rabies
Ugh. The reason there are standard vaccine locations set by the AVMA is for a vet to know which vaccine caused the lump if there is a reaction. I am all for vaccines in the tail for rabies, which is the most dangerous shot, but the FLV vaccine needs to be given in a different location.