Lump Under My Cat's Right Eye And Next To His Nose? Pictures.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My cat is a 2 year old male who hasn't had any major health problems. Except he does have pica. Recently, I noticed that he has a lump on his face. It has been there for about two months now. I will post pictures below. It really hasn't changed in size. It may have gotten slightly bigger then slightly smaller, but I'm not positive. I took him to the vet about a week and a half ago. She thought it might be a tooth infection, but his teeth look fine. She decided to give him a shot of an antibiotic and an anti inflammatory. She said if it didn't go away in two weeks, then I will have to bring him back and she would have to do a biopsy and he would have to be sedated.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their cats? Any help would be appreciated.
Milolump1.jpg
Milolump2.jpg
Milolump3.jpg
Milolump1.jpg Milolump1.jpg Milolump2.jpg Milolump3.jpg
Milolump1.jpg
Milolump2.jpg
Milolump3.jpg
'm quite worried. :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lumps are scary things. I have been there but my cat was older and it didn't turn out well. Just stay on top of it and trust your gut. Hoping that everything works out, please let us know how it goes. :vibes::hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lumps are scary things. I have been there but my cat was older and it didn't turn out well. Just stay on top of it and trust your gut. Hoping that everything works out, please let us know how it goes. :vibes::hugs:

Aww. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I will keep you updated when I take him to the vet next week for his biopsy. Thanks for your reply.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The position of it screams a tooth problem to me. However, the vet saying that the teeth look fine is a good sign. Could it be an abscess? Could he have been bitten or scratched by something unknowingly?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The position of it screams a tooth problem to me. However, the vet saying that the teeth look fine is a good sign. Could it be an abscess? Could he have been bitten or scratched by something unknowingly?
Yes, that was the vets first thought too. He's an indoor cat and he is the only cat I have so being bitten by something, is very unlikely. It actually happened when I switched his food (He's a little overweight so I switched to a lower cal food, but the same brand). I noticed it and switched back to his normal food. I was hoping it was just an allergy and it would go away after I switched him back because I read somewhere online that someone had the same exact situation and it went away with switching back of the food. I'm just hoping it's not cancer or anything serious cause he's still so young. Really don't want to have to have him sedated either. :(

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually abcesses dont linger that long without bursting. It is the most probable cause of the lump though, almost positive it isn't cancerous.
If it were a tumor, it doesn't always mean cancer.
But he is so young I really feel that isn't the case. Hopefully the biopsy will shed some light, but I do know that a shot of antibiotics should be accompanied by oral antibiotics in the days following to get that infection away.
Even if he is an indoor cat, if maybe one time he was cleaning his face after a meal his claw snagged, it would be enough for an abcess to form. Cats are prone.
As long as he still has an appetite and no other symptoms I wouldn't worry until the day of the vet visit. Would love to hear what they find.
There are also scent glands in that area of the face. Is he neutered?
Is the lump hard or firm but soft?

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he has pica maybe he ate something that stabbed the roof of his mouth. His teeth could look fine, but now he has an infection stuck between his mouth and nose. And since it's been so long, the entry wound wouldn't be very apparent to the vet.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually abcesses dont linger that long without bursting. It is the most probable cause of the lump though, almost positive it isn't cancerous.
If it were a tumor, it doesn't always mean cancer.
But he is so young I really feel that isn't the case. Hopefully the biopsy will shed some light, but I do know that a shot of antibiotics should be accompanied by oral antibiotics in the days following to get that infection away.
Even if he is an indoor cat, if maybe one time he was cleaning his face after a meal his claw snagged, it would be enough for an abcess to form. Cats are prone.
As long as he still has an appetite and no other symptoms I wouldn't worry until the day of the vet visit. Would love to hear what they find.
There are also scent glands in that area of the face. Is he neutered?
Is the lump hard or firm but soft?

Thanks so much for all your info!! Helped me worry a little bit less lol. He still has quite the appetite and is acting normal. Yes he is neutered. The lump is firm, but soft.

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet decided it would be best to surgically remove it and send it out for a biopsy. He just had the surgery today. He didn't do well with the opiates and is very grumpy. However, I gave him a little of canned food when he got home and he ate it right away. He can't walk straight and is very wobbly. He's sleeping in his cage now. Does anyone have any advice until the meds get out of his system? Or what to expect?

PartiCat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the vet decided it would be best to surgically remove it and send it out for a biopsy. He just had the surgery today. He didn't do well with the opiates and is very grumpy. However, I gave him a little of canned food when he got home and he ate it right away. He can't walk straight and is very wobbly. He's sleeping in his cage now. Does anyone have any advice until the meds get out of his system? Or what to expect?
Any update as to what the results were?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP has not been back in 4 years, so it is unlikely you will get a response.