Lump on kittens jaw line

mikabanditleela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 4 month old little Calico named Leela. I was just rubbing her chin and found a small movable lump on her left side where he jaw bones meet. It doesn't seem to hurt her at all and she lets me feel it. Just wondering if it's worth taking her to the vets. It's possible it's an injury seeing as she and my other female don't like each other much.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Patricia has a moveable lump behind her right ear. The vet told me it is a cyst and because she had it several years with no change, he will not worry about it. I don't know what causes them. If it is not hurting her and she has no injury or disease symtpoms, I would assume that is waht she has. But you should keep checking it to look for changes in appearance for a few days because that would indicate illness or infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikabanditleela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She 100% fine with me touching it. She's not acting any different. She's still happy and playful. Thanks so much. I tend to freak when my kitties have things wrong with them.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Personally, if I found a lump on my cat that wasn't there before, I would be bringing her to the vet to check her out. :) Better safe than sorry. :)

There are a lot of different reasons for lumps on a cat and no one but a vet can tell you for sure what it is, especially over the internet. :)

Good luck. :cross:

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat gets this every now and again a big bump on her bottom Lip.  It is called Rodent Ulcers (having nothing to do with rodents).  Its some kind of an allergic reaction she got from something she may have eaten or something she rubbed up against.  If I bathe the area with warm water it usually disappears.  However, since your cat has not been diagnosed for it.  Have it checked out with your Vet. 

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand why somebody would be concerned about this, but do not believe it is an emergency situation. I would use a "wait and see" approach if it was my cat, but if it makes you feel better, a vet appointment is a good idea.

delia1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got 3 kittens close to 7 months now. a couple of months ago I found one of them with a lump under her jaw/ear. went to the vet and they said it was an infection (an inflammation could be seen in her left ear), but they had no clue what caused it since her skin was intact. They gave me some antibiotics and it went away in 3 days. This morning it felt swollen again, so I'm afraid we didn't get to the cause. They told me it can be an abscess of a salivary gland (even though she wasn't drawling excessively) or she might have scratched that area and even though it healed some bacteria remained that made an infection inside. In any case, it needs immediate treatment.

becbec709

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ya know, we JUST brought a new kitten home last night and I was just rubbing his chin as well and he has a lump on the right and left (I think his lymph nodes) but they did not seem to bother him.  Maybe it is a little infection because I know when humans go to the dr they always feel your lymph nodes.