Lump on cat's gums

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I have a 3 year old cat. She bit a bee about three weeks ago and at the time I had looked in her mouth and noticed there was a small lump on her lower gum. I assumed it was from the bee sting even though I had found the stinger at the roof of her mouth, where the area wasn't swollen at all. Now three weeks later the lump is still there about the same size, if not a little bigger, as it was last time. What could it be if not from the bee sting? I'm including a photo of the area. Sorry for the bad camera quality.

IMG_20231212_124456.jpg
IMG_20231212_124421.jpg
IMG_20231212_123440.jpg

Side note: she's recently getting blackheads on her mouth area too and I don't know what to do about it.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Difficult to know from a photo. Is it tender? Do you notice any trouble eating? Her teeth look very healthy but you never know what's going under them. I really think a vet visit is your best bet.
As for the acne, if it's around her chin, that's really common with using plastic food and water bowls. If that's the case, it's an easy fix. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Difficult to know from a photo. Is it tender? Do you notice any trouble eating? Her teeth look very healthy but you never know what's going under them. I really think a vet visit is your best bet.
As for the acne, if it's around her chin, that's really common with using plastic food and water bowls. If that's the case, it's an easy fix. :)
Thank you for your response!
I didn't touch it very much cause she seemed annoyed by it. She definitely doesn't have any trouble eating she eats everything we let her eat. :lol: And she also is active as always. I was worried if it could be something serious like a cancerous lump.
Unfortunately, even though all her bowls are steel, her water fountain is plastic and it's expensive to get her a new one. I will try to find something though thank you so much! :happycat:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not so sure about water fountains.. we need feedback from other members regarding them and acne. I know, though, that my girl got awful acne when I bought an automatic feeder.. the bowl was stainless steel, but the lid etc was plastic.
As for the lump, I'd gently touch the area to see if she responds. It could still be a response to the bee sting, since that was recent.

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not so sure about water fountains.. we need feedback from other members regarding them and acne. I know, though, that my girl got awful acne when I bought an automatic feeder.. the bowl was stainless steel, but the lid etc was plastic.
As for the lump, I'd gently touch the area to see if she responds. It could still be a response to the bee sting, since that was recent.
I actually got her an auto feeder too! I never thought that could cause it since, like yours, it has a steel bowl.
She had been stung by a bee a long time ago too but the swelling back then had gone away by the next day... I'll check it like that though!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Whether or not the fountain is to blame probably has something to do with how she drinks. If it is a fountain in which a long stream runs down and the cat never had to touch the fountain, you are probably okay.

Paraskevi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whether or not the fountain is to blame probably has something to do with how she drinks. If it is a fountain in which a long stream runs down and the cat never had to touch the fountain, you are probably okay.
This fountain has the option of a stream but she doesn't like drinking from it and only drinks from the bowl of it.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I actually got her an auto feeder too! I never thought that could cause it since, like yours, it has a steel bowl.
This one was fixable.. I just make sure that every day I not only clean the bowl, but wipe clean the feeder itself, especially the underside of the lid. This is the one I have.
sure-feed-microchip-pet-feeder.jpg