Lulu’s Diet and Behavior

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suspect Lulu has hyperesthesia. During her kitten year I fed her Purina pro plan kitten. The variety pack had two types of fish and one chicken I believe. She had frequent “episodes”. I happened to read an article that said diet could add to the issue and just that fish in general all the time wasn’t good. I took fish out of her diet. She went on to pro plan adult food but no fish and was fine for so long.

Last week I started to change her to Fancy Feast. I didn’t know the beef one had fish in it. Today she had a really bad episode. Running. Stopping. Licking lower back. Back rolling.

Do you think diet could play such a big role? She won’t have Fancy Feast at all any more. I put it all aside for Finn And went out and got Pro Plan again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope so because she continued with this last night and again this morning. I wish I could help her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just like with humans, some have a bigger reaction to allergens they cannot tolerate. If you think she did well on no fish, then you just found out she still cannot tolerate it in her diet after an absence. Intense itching could definitely happen with allergies. You might ask your vet if Benadryl could be given. It is very bitter so has to be hidden well in a treat like a small ball of cheese or a bit of Pill Pocket. It is 1mg per pound of cat, pills, etc. are 25mg. so a 12 lb cat would take 1/2 of a pill. I gave it when my Burt got a bee sting, his skin rolled horrible and he started breathing very fast. they really foam at the mouth if they get it in their mouth, but it did help a lot. He refused to eat anything during theses times so I had to mix a crushed pill with water and put it in the side of his mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
I had been about 4 or 5 days in to switching over to Fancy Feast, so she was still getting some of the Purina Pro plan at the time of her 2 day "episode". During that time she couldn't be petted. Finn couldn't approach or she took off like a bullet and she couldn't truly settle down. She groomed herself excessively. I woke up at 4 am and she was on my bed grooming. Woke up again at 5:30 and she was grooming. I was hoping she wasn't doing that the whole time!

She had her regular food all day Friday and Saturday and is completely back to herself. Could that happen that fast?
She also hates the cleaner and that was Wednesday, followed by a painter on Thursday. I feel bad that she's so anxious.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Check to make sure the Pro Plan you are feeding her doesn't contain fish meal - some of them do. If so, that might not actually be your issue. You can also try Fancy Feast beef & chicken, beef & liver, and turkey & giblets - the pate forms of these do not contain fish or fish oils.

I don't know if certain foods can heighten hyperesthesia, but her behaviors as you described could also be allergy based - either from fish or another ingredient in her foods. Allergies can also arise from environmental issues too - such as pollen, dust, mildew, etc. - even seasonal changes can create issues.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish has episodes and mostly food related. I'm saying mostly because my vet told me fleas and anxiety may cause just as well. Once I gave her a different type of flea treatment from the one I use in summer months when minish lives indoors outdoors although there was no indication of fleas (indoor living, not any fleas on sight). No change of food and she became well anyways.
Regarding food, Chicken based products cause this reacrion. Sometimes even when there is no mention of chicken in the ingredients. Maybe it's related to other ingredients like oils or carbs if you feed dry. I have tried about 15 different kinds of kibble. For example she tolerates raindeer but not a particular brand that uses a lot of potatoes.
When minish has attacks I stop feeding dry for a while. Raw works better even if it's chicken. I and when she has the episodes, loving words and playing to redirect her attention from the discomfort helps. Hope Lulu gets fine soon :hearthrob:

Last edited:

codebrigadeamerica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check out all the ingredients of the food, it must be natural without chemical additives. I hope Lulu feels better soon.