Lucy's slow recovery after extractions....questions....

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So it is day 15 since Lucy had all her teeth extracted behind the canines.  (She is being treated for severe stomatitis.)  Her recovery has been up and down.  The "ups" were right after a pain patch and right after a low dose steroid shot.  Here's the timeline....

Day 2 after surgery - seemed to be bouncing back well...possible euphoria from the pain patch.  Also, she was taking Clavomox (antibiotic) which lasted 8 days.

Day 4 - less eager to eat and hiding some....ropes of drool coming out of her mouth

Day 5 - Sees vet to have pain patch come off.  We tell him that she is drooling and hiding, less eager to eat.  He says her mouth looks good, less inflammation than before the surgery.  He gives her a low dose steroid shot to "zap" the remaining inflammation.  Says it will last 3 days.  He also said she could be reacting to the dissolving stitches which could take up to 2 months to dissolve.  Meanwhile she started 3 days of oral pain meds.

Days 6-8 - The old Lucy is back....playful, playful, playful.  I didn't realize it was the steroid shot that was helping so much until....

Days 9-12 - Slowly she started hiding again, less eager to eat, having to be tempted to eat....a little drooling.  She gags as she starts to eat (possibly the drool, but I'm nervous her throat may be irritated to from inflammation which they noted had reached her throat.)  She sleeps a lot more.

Day 12 - I wanted to get her microchipped anyways, so I took her in to have them take her temp, look in her mouth, etc...  Nothing alarming, slightly elevated temp, but within the normal range and attributed to nerves.  (Though she has been to the vet many times and never had nervous elevated temp before.)  We discussed the fact that we won't really know whether the surgery "cured" her stomatitis until the stitches dissolve (up to 2 months.) 

Day 13-15 - She is still hiding (not always, but it is not like her to hide at all.)  She has times where she comes out and about, but not playful at all....so not her.  She is having some ropes of drool.  She still has to be tempted to eat but will eat 1-1.5 oz three times per day.  She is preferring raw over canned so that is mostly what she is getting. 

No vomiting at all, litterbox habits seem normal.  No conflicts with the other cats.  We see glimmers of hope that she is pepping up, but then will find her under the table drooling again.

I am taking her in tomorrow at 2:20 pm to see the vet again. 

Here are some questions I want to ask him...and things I want to remember to tell him.  I'd love your input and to know whether you think there are other things to consider....

*  Steroids - Will intervening with steroids aid the healing, slow it down?  Benefits of a steroid shot over oral meds?  (I should note, I'm very leery of steroids and was really hoping the surgery would save her from a life of steroid shots.)

*  It seems she needs some type of relief.  Are there other options besides steroids?

*  Want to describe the hiding and the personality change (before the surgery she was surely in pain but was still the happiest and most playful cat you'd ever meet.)

*  The gagging and my concerns about her throat.  (Also she took doxycycline before the surgery, for a URI.  We were careful to give it with wet food, but I'm nervous it damaged her esophagus.)

*  The vet has mentioned that gums heal quickly, so why is she feeling so badly 15 days after surgery?

I'd love any input you have or any other questions you think I should ask.  Thanks.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, I'm so sorry she's having these issues this long after the surgery.

Your questions are all good ones, and I can't think of anything to add, just wanted to send my best wishes and some of those famous TCS vibes that whatever is wrong gets "fixed" quickly and she gets back to normal sooner than later. 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not always total extraction resolve stomatitis, which is why I didn't take this route with Bugsy.... It is a 50/50 shot.... I certainly hope this is not the case for your girl :(
If it is, I wouldn't recommend rue steroids route, because of the risks involved with it. Since you are in Texas, I would highly recommend you talking to that clinic, for long term treatment....
Again, I hope that's not the case.... Just keep in mind it can be.... :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Carolina, I still have the name and number of that clinic and will be looking into it before she did long term steroids.  If he felt like we needed to use some tomorrow as a temporary fix, I'd be okay with it.

I called vets and had one that I really trusted to do the surgery well.  She had seen success without using steroids.  Then in the 30 days it took Lucy to get over her URI and ready for the surgery the vet found out she had lung cancer and her work hours became very unpredictable.  Her partner ended up doing the surgery.  I was hoping he would be just as good, but I don't know.  He wasn't as thorough as the ideal I read about.  That's the problem with the internet, I guess.  The ideal surgeon was in Canada. 
  If she doesn't have good results, I'll always wonder if it would have worked out better with the doctor I chose. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SURE she will completely recover from the surgery. It can be a tough hoe, and poor little thing's been through so much recently as it is, so she may not have been in "tip top" "quick as possible" recovery condition. :heart2: PLEASE do not blame yourself or your choices for this. :heart2:

You're giving her the best chance, and I'm sure it's wonderful care. :rub:

Sending vibes for darling Lucy... :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the good vibes.  The vet wanted to keep her for a while because there were some dissolving stitches that came loose and needed to be clipped.  He is sedating her (not putting her under) to clip them (some are in the back of the mouth.)  He may also give her a steroid shot....longer lasting than the last one.  We talked it over and I'm okay with it, though I wish she didn't need it.  He'll call us in a bit when she is ready to come home.

ETA:  He held off on the steroid shot for now.  Things look like they are healing well though there is still inflammation.  Her good moments have been getting better and better the last couple of days and the stitches getting out (a good deal of them, not all) could improve things too.  We'll reconsider next week if she is still drooling.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to report that we have seen major improvement since Lucy's vet visit (and without a steroid shot.) 
  Those loose stitches must have been really bothering her.  The next day her behavior was happy and playful again, almost no drooling (only one slight bit noticed after a long nap.)

HOWEVER, she was still a bit hesitant to eat (though she gets enough if I really encourage her.)  I could tell her mouth and throat were still making eating difficult (she gags a bit at the beginning of each meal.) 

SO, I read some articles on slippery elm (which someone here mentioned a while back...thanks) and bought some powdered, with nothing added.  Here's a link if you are interested....

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

WOW, two doses of the slippery elm syrup I made and I just saw her give herself the longest, most thorough grooming/licking session I've ever witnessed for her.  She isn't gagging at the beginning of meals, but still isn't coming running for meals like the other cats.  She hates having it squirted in her mouth though....I'm guessing it's the sensation not the flavor, since it tastes like maple syrup and cats supposedly don't taste sweet things.

I'm not sure about using it long term, they say it might interfere with the absorption of certain nutrients (and meds but she isn't on any meds right now.)  Anyways, we'll use it for a while then maybe just periodically if needed after that.

It will still take some time to see where things level out with her stomatitis, but I'm loving the improvement.

And the slippery elm is so cheap ($8 for a jar that will make many batches of syrup.)  I'm researching other supplements mentioned at little big cat and they are SO darn expensive....but sound great....just not sure about adding another major monthly expense.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: Oh HAPPY NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Aw, that's just GREAT!

I haven't read the LittleBigCat article on slippery elm (but I LOVE the site!). Our holistic vet recommended it for Chumley with his GI issues. He doesn't need it any longer, but for over a year, he had it twice a day, 1/4 teaspoon mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of aloe vera juice, and it REALLY helped soothe his bowels. :nod: I always keep some on hand. Guess I ought to go read the article to see its other benefits!

Aw.... hope little Lucy feels ALL better soon!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: