Lucy has crossed over ❤️

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am absolutely devastated right now. It's hard to even be home because I see Lucy EVERYWHERE. For 17 years, that cat has been with us. She was dx with oral cancer in January, but believe she had it before that (symptoms started in October)...and it's been a very rough 5 months. Tuesday, something happened. She was on me in bed and I had to get up for something so I moved her off of me (she was stubborn and if she didn't want to get down, she wouldn't). She then jumped to the floor and started to walk towards the kitchen...but her walk was very weak and she was a bit bow legged. She also fell at one point. It was ODD, but I knew something was very wrong. We took her to the ER vet but they were worthless. In hindsight, we should be taken her to Michigan State Univ instead. They know what's wrong within the first 10 minutes of meeting your pet. We suspect a stroke of some type but from that night, she ate less and eventually would not eat. She started having a rusty-brown strange discharge from her eyes (a vet tech thought it could be pressure from her tumor). She would get up to get some water and use the litter box and that was all. She slept on me all night as usual, but she just wasn't Lucy, anymore. Cancer won. I held her in my arms while the vet administered the med this afternoon. It was odd. This cat was so limp and lifeless even after just the sedative. It broke my heart into a gazillion pieces. And not even a couple of seconds later, she was gone. A big weight was off my shoulders but it went straight to my heart. I see Lucy everywhere and it's very surreal. Not sure how long I'll be a mess, but I'm going to bet it will be quite awhile. My nighttime routine has been interrupted. My morning routine has been interrupted....my life just got overturned. I have no idea how to do this (never mind I went through it once before...). My 17yo son took this of Lu on Wednesday. She absolutely loved to be outside soaking up the sun❤. How does everyone get through this?! I'm 51yo and I feel like I'm reacting like a 3yo:(
IMG_7281.jpeg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s an OK reaction to have, considering how long you’ve loved her. What I found with grief, better out than in! It will get better. As the above poster said, 17 years is a long time, tho that’s not much consolation right now. :alright: What lovely markings! If it helps to tell us more about her life here, I’d love to know…:hearthrob: Big hugs.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Lucy would certainly want you to know those 17 years of love you gave her where wonderful. Something not all cat's have. She was loved. What your feeling is normal with grief but from all of us who've been there the pain will ease. Take your time and grieve your girl. You will get through this.:alright:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. :redheartpump:
I feel like I'm reacting like a 3yo:(
Absolutely not. She’s been with you as long as your son. Why wouldn’t you be upset? I’ve had people tell me they grieved their pet more than their parent. Society doesn’t give as much weight to grieving a pet as a human. We understand you here. :hugs: Be easy on yourself.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You helped her escape a lot of pain and suffering. She was suffering from something that was not curable, no future but one of increasing pain. Please try to take comfort in the fact you gave her what she wanted most in this world, a home, care, and people to love her.......
The path she follows now will always parallel your own life's journey, love is spiritual, so eternal. 17 years makes a very strong bond of love between your hearts, she will forever be close, living on through you now. Send her thoughts and prayers of love and happiness, go forward into the future and live it as you would have wanted for her to go on if you were the first to go. She wants no less because that is love. Use her legacy of love to spread the love she left you, adding more to reside beside hers in your soul, helping it to bloom and grow even stronger.
Time is the only thing that helps to mend a broken heart, and it takes a lot of it. One day you will begin to feel gratitude for what she gave you, for sharing your life. But for now you must grieve and learn ways to manage your grief and sorrow.
My heart goes out to you, I can empathize with your grief, for now keep busy and try not to dwell on her end, it does nothing but bring pain. She gave you 17 wonderful years to remember, her whole life. She gave you such a wonderful gift, a cat's love.......RIP precious Lucy, you will always be remembered, you will have secure places in loving hearts for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. It's a little easier to swallow this morning, but I found myself calling her name when I woke up. Almost like I am trying to prove it really happened. My son and husband were at a skywarn event so I woke up with nobody in the house....and that was hard, too. I've been grieving to a degree since fall....when all of this first...so, it's not AS bad as it could've been...still, I called her name out this morning and I had to touch the fur I had cut yesterday. Is that weird?

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. My heart breaks for you. I lost my cat to oral cancer over a year ago. It’s such an aggressive cancer, but has no noticeable symptoms in the beginning.
My deepest condolences to you.
Rest in peace, Lucy :redheartpump:

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am absolutely devastated right now. It's hard to even be home because I see Lucy EVERYWHERE. For 17 years, that cat has been with us. She was dx with oral cancer in January, but believe she had it before that (symptoms started in October)...and it's been a very rough 5 months. Tuesday, something happened. She was on me in bed and I had to get up for something so I moved her off of me (she was stubborn and if she didn't want to get down, she wouldn't). She then jumped to the floor and started to walk towards the kitchen...but her walk was very weak and she was a bit bow legged. She also fell at one point. It was ODD, but I knew something was very wrong. We took her to the ER vet but they were worthless. In hindsight, we should be taken her to Michigan State Univ instead. They know what's wrong within the first 10 minutes of meeting your pet. We suspect a stroke of some type but from that night, she ate less and eventually would not eat. She started having a rusty-brown strange discharge from her eyes (a vet tech thought it could be pressure from her tumor). She would get up to get some water and use the litter box and that was all. She slept on me all night as usual, but she just wasn't Lucy, anymore. Cancer won. I held her in my arms while the vet administered the med this afternoon. It was odd. This cat was so limp and lifeless even after just the sedative. It broke my heart into a gazillion pieces. And not even a couple of seconds later, she was gone. A big weight was off my shoulders but it went straight to my heart. I see Lucy everywhere and it's very surreal. Not sure how long I'll be a mess, but I'm going to bet it will be quite awhile. My nighttime routine has been interrupted. My morning routine has been interrupted....my life just got overturned. I have no idea how to do this (never mind I went through it once before...). My 17yo son took this of Lu on Wednesday. She absolutely loved to be outside soaking up the sun❤. How does everyone get through this?! I'm 51yo and I feel like I'm reacting like a 3yo:( View attachment 472400
Honey, it takes time. And you never truly get over the death of one you loved. Time just makes it easier to think about them. You’re going to cry and break down. Take your time. Remember- love hurts, sometimes, but, My God, it’s worth the pain. Think about the love. That’s what she remembers. You aren’t acting like a three year old. You are acting like a human being that just lost someone very importanT. Don’t let anyone tell you she was “just a cat”. She’s not. She’s family. She’s watching over you. She’ll be in the rain, those are her tears because she’s separated from her Mama. She’s in the sun, that’s her love and joy because she’s at peace and gets to keep watching after her Mama. I am so sorry for your loss, but your new guardian angel is GORGEOUS. I lost my Sugar Mama last year and I still cry. That’s why it’s called a process, because it takes time. I keep small amounts of my cats fur. One day, we will all get to race across that bridge. We will call them and they will run to us, filled with joy. But for now, they will look after us. She was tired. She was ready to rest. You gave her peace and love, and I swear that’s enough.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honey, it takes time. And you never truly get over the death of one you loved. Time just makes it easier to think about them. You’re going to cry and break down. Take your time. Remember- love hurts, sometimes, but, My God, it’s worth the pain. Think about the love. That’s what she remembers. You aren’t acting like a three year old. You are acting like a human being that just lost someone very importanT. Don’t let anyone tell you she was “just a cat”. She’s not. She’s family. She’s watching over you. She’ll be in the rain, those are her tears because she’s separated from her Mama. She’s in the sun, that’s her love and joy because she’s at peace and gets to keep watching after her Mama. I am so sorry for your loss, but your new guardian angel is GORGEOUS. I lost my Sugar Mama last year and I still cry. That’s why it’s called a process, because it takes time. I keep small amounts of my cats fur. One day, we will all get to race across that bridge. We will call them and they will run to us, filled with joy. But for now, they will look after us. She was tired. She was ready to rest. You gave her peace and love, and I swear that’s enough.
❤❤❤❤❤. Thank you❤❤❤❤❤