Low to the ground and "bark like" coughing?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I just went into my bedroom where my foster cat is currently staying, and I found her very low to the ground (like stalking mode), but she was coughing: a very dry, bark-like cough (if she were a child, I'd say like croup)....it didn't last very long, and she didn't cough anything up (it wasn't anything like the hairball sound - I have another cat who does that so I know what that sounds like).

Since she had just finished eating dry food, I was assuming that something just got lodged in her throat and this was her way of getting it out. Again, nothing came up or out of her mouth - she just randomly stopped after about 10 seconds. Nothing since then....

So -- thoughts? Do cats choke on their food - and if so, is there anything I can do to "help" if it happens again, or she just has to get through it....

thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be asthma. There's a video here of a cat having an asthma attack (near the bottom of the page): Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - Inhaled Photos & Videos If you don't have the Windows Media Player needed to play that video, YouTube most likely has tons of other videos of cats having asthma attacks.

If it happens again, definitely give the vet a call and schedule an appointment just to have it checked out. A video of the cat coughing would be helpful for the vet to make a diagnosis. You may even be able to email the video to the vet ahead of the appointment to review.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens to Emerson twice a year like clockwork. It always scares the bejeebus out of me. The vet thinks he has allergies.

Definitely bring it up to your vet. I was so scared he had asthma but he didn't fit the criteria, as well as only getting them during peak allergy season for humans. If it is allergies, you can get kitty Zyrtec or whatever to help him out a little.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just went into my bedroom where my foster cat is currently staying, and I found her very low to the ground (like stalking mode), but she was coughing: a very dry, bark-like cough (if she were a child, I'd say like croup)....it didn't last very long, and she didn't cough anything up (it wasn't anything like the hairball sound - I have another cat who does that so I know what that sounds like).

Since she had just finished eating dry food, I was assuming that something just got lodged in her throat and this was her way of getting it out. Again, nothing came up or out of her mouth - she just randomly stopped after about 10 seconds. Nothing since then....

So -- thoughts? Do cats choke on their food - and if so, is there anything I can do to "help" if it happens again, or she just has to get through it....

thanks!
I went from vet to vet when Emily did this. She was a foster so I have all the medical reports, diagnoses and medication.

She was a stray who was found with 4 kittens 6 1/2 years ago. I cared for them and eventually the kittens found new homes but no-one wanted Emily. She joined my cat household 3 months after her arrival and is now a permanent member.

During her first weeks with me, she was vomiting, had diarrhea and had to be treated with antibiotics. We started trying to detect food allergies, but diarrhea and vomiting stopped more or less as soon as she was allowed to join the rest of us. She had watering eyes and the type of coughing you mention. The vets more or less ruled out asthma and assumed it was cat flue which she had probably always had. She was treated with various homeopathic remedies to improve her immune system. Within 7 or 8 months it must have cleared up as I have no more mention of it in the documents. She very rarely barks now. I have read that it could be due to a cat hair irritating her throat. Nothing serious.

I hope it turns out to be just as harmless in your foster's case.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many reasons for that barking cough, allergies, hairball, asthma, and CHF due to an enlarged heart. A simple, inexpensive x-ray could rule out asthma or a heart condition ( my cat lived for MANY more years with CHF, he was on Lasix) allergies and hairballs are harder to diagnose. Give a couple of teaspoons of butter to her daily for a week and see if that would help her pass any hairballs (butter ha almost no lactose, which most cats are allergic to) or try a change in her food for a while.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a classic asthma attack in kitties. It could be triggered by airborne allergens. Please get her to the vet for a check up and x-ray. Treatment is fairly easy if it's a mild case, just a shot of prednisolone, every 6 months or so. We have found that vacuuming frequently cuts down on the coughing spells.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above statements...this sounds a lot like an asthma attack. Do your best to record it if it happens again so that you can show it to your vet. My Morty also has asthma and will act similarly when he's having an attack. Usually he'll be sitting upright and just starts coughing, twisting his head close to the ground. It's really sad to watch. Luckily for Morty his attacks aren't all too common, maybe once a month, so our vet decided he would be better with no treatment because the medication can be costly and cause other problems in the future. It's always best to get an opinion from your vet though.

Also, many cats who have asthma with have asthma attacks from things like pollen in the air, perfumes, chemicals, etc. An air purifier is always a good option if it turns out that this is what your cat has and an unscented litter is a must.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To echo others here - this sounds like possible asthma to me. Our little guy has it and exhibited symptoms very similar to what you are describing (take a look at my post history for videos!). He is now on inhaled medication (flovent) through a puffer and is doing great - no attacks in months :).

Like others are saying though, it could be caused by a number of factors - best bet is to start ruling things out with your vet based on the diagnostic tools you have available to you.

Blahblahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like it could be asthma possibly. My cat was diagnosed in January and it has been quite the journey.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is almost an exact description of my cat having an allergy attack to dust and pollen. One of the comments above is right that vacuuming often helps. My cat is also on antihistamines during spring though fall when pollen and ragweed are all over. If an x-ray doesn't show asthma, maybe ask your vet about allergies.