Low Respiratory Rate...when To Worry?

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Artemis. I've had her since she was a kitten, and I honestly can't even tell you how much she means to me. She is my closest companion...my baby.:redheartpump: Anyways, I was checking her respiratory rate, just out of curiosity and it seems that she's averaging about 16-17 breaths per minute. Should this be a concern? I found that most sources say 20-30 breaths per minute is normal range, although I did find one source that said 16-30 is normal, and another that said anywhere between 16-42 is normal. Am I just being too anxious? Is 3-4 breaths under what's considered normal really a big deal?
She has always been a noisy breather, ever since she was a kitten. I was told she was part manx, and she's always had kind of a flat face and a squished in nose. She almost sounds as if she's snoring while she's awake, and it's louder when she's sleeping. Right this minute she's sleeping next to me, snoring up a storm. artemis 1.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Artemis? The respiratory rate doesn't sound alarming, if that is her resting rate. How long ago since she has seen a vet? And, have to you talked to the vet about the noisy breathing and snoring? It might be worth keeping track of her rate, and note if there is any irregularity to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How old is Artemis? The respiratory rate doesn't sound alarming, if that is her resting rate. How long ago since she has seen a vet? And, have to you talked to the vet about the noisy breathing and snoring? It might be worth keeping track of her rate, and note if there is any irregularity to it.
She'll be four in October, and yes that is her resting rate. We took her in last month for an eye problem, and she ended up having something called "cherry eye" which is a condition that is common in persians and hymalayans, so I'm guessing it's another issue caused by her having a flatter face. I haven't brought this up with the vet, and they didn't mention it while we were there. I'm gonna bring it up next time I take her in.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:
For now, unless she's showing signs of difficult breathing (labored, noisy, obviously uncomfortable) I wouldn't worry too much. 3-4 breaths under the "normal range" wouldn't concern me much unless they were in distress (having trouble breathing, very lethargic, etc.) I'd keep track of her RRR (resting respiratory rate) for future reference (and for your vets) but I wouldn't panic.
Is her breathing slow, steady and relaxed? Breathing with an open mouth is almost always a bad sign, so if you're seeing that at any time I'd get her to a vet. But my guess is she's fine and is just a very happy, relaxed kitty.
If she has a history of eye problems and was a noisy breather as a kitten, it could be some minor inflammation going on in her sinuses. We've had good luck with L-Lysine powder (you can get this on amazon or from your vet) for boosting the immune system, but other members here have not, so it's probably one of those things that some cats respond and others don't. If you're concerned, you might talk to your vet about this. Our vet prescribed this for a kitten we found that had an eye so terrible looking we didn't know if she'd need the eye removed or not, and after a few weeks of it her eye cleared up and so did her nose/sinus cavity. She's 5 now, full of energy (and other things :lol:) and has a good life, and is healthy. I hope the same is true for your friend, too :wave3:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have recently read a lot about respiratory rate too (mine's seemed higher than normal) and learned that if the cat isn't showing any sign of illness and if the breathing rate is not high/low all the time, it's OK. Apparently things like the temperature, dehydration, anxiety/stress can all affect it temporarily.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that are brothers that got distemper when they were kittens and almost died. Both of them have damaged lungs now and get frequent upper respiratory infections. One has a very high breathing rate but has always had it. It is well over 40 BPM. When he got a URI a few months ago it was off the charts, that is when I brought him to the vet, that was not 'normal' for him. He was acting fine. Normal is normal for your cat. Just because they say 'normal' is so many breathes, that is just an average. If she is happy, plays, eats/drinks/uses the litter box, everything is fine.